1 Verb + truth
Use the correct form of these verbs:
come out distort
expose face up to
- She didn’t have the courage to ___________ him the truth about his friend.
- Newspapers are often guilty of ___________ the truth. => Yes, it’s a well-known fact that some of them bend the truth to sell more copies.
- You’ll have to ___________ the truth some time. You’re just too old for this job. Why don’t you think about retiring?
- As a journalist it’s my job to uncover and ___________ the truth.
- I don’t think the truth about President Kennedy’s assassination will ever ___________. => I think you’re right. It’s all so long ago now. We’ll never know the truth now.
- Since I became a politician I have never tried to ___________ the truth about my past.
2 Finding and telling the truth
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- The real reason people buy our paper is that
- Before we start blaming anyone, it’s important that
- The police forced him into admitting
- It will be difficult to discover
- It was some time before I realised
- The doctors thought it best not to reveal
a the truth of what he had done.
b the truth about who my real parents were.
c it speaks the truth.
d the truth about her parents, but she is determined to leave no stone unturned.
e we establish the truth about what went on.
f the truth to him until he was strong enough to deal with the news of his parents’ death.
Now list 6 verbs from the exercise which mean:
find out the truth tell the truth
- ___________the truth 4. ___________ the truth
- ___________ the truth 5. ___________ the truth
- ___________ the truth 6. ___________ the truth
3 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives in the sentences
sad honest painful whole
- I didn’t take your pen! That’s the plain and ____________ truth!
- I don’t think you’re telling us the____________ truth about what happened, are you?
- My father has always been independent but the ____________ truth is that, at 89, he’s no longer able to manage by himself.
- The truth may be ____________, but there’s not much you can do about it!
4 Noun + preposition + truth
Use these expressions in the sentences:
distortion of the truth
moment of truth
quest for the truth
ring of truth
scant regard for the truth
- The instructor gave me the controls. It was the ____________ ! Could I fly the plane myself?
- Nothing will stop them in their ____________ . They will not be satisfied until they find out exactly how their son died in a police cell.
- I’m inclined to believe Laura. Her story has a ____________ about it.
- The film was a gross ____________ . It bore little resemblance to what actually happened.
- I wouldn’t trust him. He has ____________ . He will lie if he needs to.
1. Note these ways of saying there is a small amount of truth in something:
a measure of truth a certain degree of truth
an element of truth a grain of truth
2. These mean there is no truth in something:
Don’t listen to her! There’s not a jot / an iota / a vestige / an ounce of truth in what she’s saying.
3. Note this expression to introduce an idea:
To tell you the truth, it doesn’t really matter.
4. To deny something:
Nothing could be further from the truth!
5. ‘Home truths’ are ideas to bring someone back to reality:
It’s time someone told him a few home truths.
1. tell 2. distorting 3.faceupto 4. expose 5. come out 6. hide
l-c 2-e 3-a 4-d 5-b 6-f
find out the truth = discover, establish, realise
tell the truth = admit, reveal, speak
1. honest 2. whole 3. sad 4. painful
- moment of truth
- quest for the truth
- ring of truth
- distortion of the truth
- scant regard for the truth
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!