Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Value
1 Verb + value
Use the correct form of these verbs:20
assess depend on fall
- The value of most cars depreciates quite quickly, but sports cars tend to _____________ their value well.
- Everything is included in the price. This holiday certainly_____________ value for money.
- The exact value of the vase will _____________ its condition. You can expect around £3000 if it’s in perfect condition.
- When we decided to sell our house, an estate agent came round to_____________ the value of the property.
- The value of the pound_____________ against the dollar and other major currencies yesterday.
2 Value (interesting quality)
Use these words to complete the sentences:
nutritional sentimental novelty shock
- It’s a not an expensive watch, but it’s of great _____________ value to me. It belonged to my grandfather.
- A lot of junk food is tasty, but much of it has no_____________ value whatsoever.
- The game has a certain_____________ value – it’s new and interesting – but I think people will get bored with it quite quickly.
- The sex wasn’t necessary in the film. I think it was included purely for its ___________ value.
3 Different values
Values (plural) means a set of beliefs. Match the following:
- People from the same culture tend to share
- Older people tend to regret the loss of
- The main political parties say they stand for
- Lots of people reject
a traditional values. But they often forget that the ‘good old days’ were often not very good!
b similar values. Maybe this is less true today than it used to be.
c middle-class values as not relevant to them.
d family values. It’s an easy thing to say!
4 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
face great incalculable
market original street
- Tickets were changing hands at many times their _____________ value. I had to pay £20 for a £5 ticket.
- The thieves took a few small things, but nothing of _____________ value.
- I had to sell my car well below its_____________ value. It was worth a lot more than I got for it.
- Last night customs officers at Heathrow airport seized drugs with an estimated _____________ value of £5 million.
- These ancient paintings are of_____________ value. It’s simply impossible to put a price on them.
- The present value of these shares is £4000 – they’re now worth ten times their _____________ value.
1. Value is often used to talk about something important or useful:
I don’t think parents should set too high a value on exam results.
The discovery of these old letters will be of great value to historians.
2. Note the following preposition + value phrases:
Jewellery to the value of three million pounds was stolen.
The pound dropped in value yesterday.
Their house has Increased in value by about £20,000.
Do not leave any articles of value in your hotel room.
Ex 1: 1. hold 2. offers 3. depend on 4. assess 5. fell
Ex 2: 1. sentimental 2. nutritional 3. novelty 4. shock
Ex 3: l-b 2-a 3-d 4-c
Ex 4: l. face 2. great 3. market 4. street 5. incalculable 6. original
Also check :
- IELTS Vocabulary
- Best IELTS Vocabulary books
- Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS Listening words
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS