Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Way
Key Word: way
1 Verb + way
Use the correct form of these verbs:
look at see
- The committee is always ____________ new ways to improve the services the club provides.
- I wasn’t pleased when she ____________ the way I ran the office. I felt her comments were so unfair.
- The internet has ____________ the way we do business. In fact, it has revolutionized it.
- This job has to be completed today, but I can’t ____________ any way of finishing it before five.
- I ____________ the way she carried on when she had no chance of winning the race.
- We’re trying to ____________ new ways of treating people for depression without the use of drugs.
keep out of make lose push
- If you ____________ your way, just use your mobile.
- I think it’s best if you ____________ Rachel’s way for a while. She’s fairly annoyed with you.
- After driving through miles of forest, we ____________ our way past some incredibly beautiful lakes.
- Just ____________ your way to the front of the queue!
Go back and underline all the verb collocations.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
efficient hard novel
proper one sure various
- Why do you insist on doing things the ____________ way? Life is difficult enough!
- We looked at ____________ ways of solving the problem, but they were all unsatisfactory.
- E-mail provides an ____________ way of communicating with people that’s fast and cheap.
- Keeping a cow in the garden is certainly a ____________ way of keeping the grass short!
- There is only ____________ way of getting him to tidy his room and that is to pay him to do it!
- The ____________ way to lay the table is something you learn from your parents. I can’t understand why some people don’t have a clue how to do it!
Go back and underline all the collocations above.
3 Way ( manner of doing something)
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
disgusting leisurely meaningful
great possible shoddy
- When you tell Philip that you don’t want to go out with him, please try to do it in the nicest ____________ way. You don’t want to hurt him.
- Did you see the ____________ way she ate her food? Some people have no table manners!
- He looked at me and raised his eyebrow in a ____________ way, but I’m not sure what he was trying to say to me.
- There was no rush, so we walked through the park in a____________ way.
- They didn’t even explain why they were sacking her after 40 years working for them! In my opinion, that’s a pretty ____________ way to treat an employee.
- We went on this fantastic trip to Lake Victoria. It was a ____________ way to end our holiday.
1. Notice the structures ‘way to’ and ‘way of:
We need to come up with ways to save money.
We need to come up with ways of saving money.
We need new ways to promote our products.
We need new ways of promoting our products.
2. Notice these expressions:
The twins are different in every way.
I like getting my own way!
You have a very nice way of life here.
3. Examples 7-10 in exercise I have a literal meaning for ‘way’. Here are some more expressions with this meaning:
Their house is a bit out of the way. (remote)
Can you tell me the way to the pub?
Sorry, my bags are in your way.
Let’s stop for a meal on the way.
4. Here are other common expressions:
Our anniversary is still a long way off.
Try turning it the other way up and see if you can open it
You always take the easy way out!
I could tell by the way she looked at me that she was irritated by my comments.
1 looking at 2. criticised 3. changed 4. see 5. admired
6 develop 7. lose 8. keep out of 9. made 10. push
- hard 2. various 3. efficient 4. novel 5. one sure 6. proper
- possible 2. disgusting 3. meaningful 4. leisurely 5. shoddy 6. great
Also check :
- Best IELTS Vocabulary books
- Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Listening words
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS