Academic Vocabulary for Top 9 Most Common Topics in IELTS Exam
Vocabulary plays an important role in achieving a high score in your IELTS test. It will be really useful for IELTS Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing. The more vocabulary you know how to use, the more comprehensively and fluently you can understand and speak.
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers
- Useful Collocations For IELTS Writing Task 2 – Topic: Crime
- IELTS Education Vocabulary: Useful Phrases And Expressions In IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Work Vocabulary: Useful Phrases And Expressions in IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Discursive Essay of Band 8.0 – Topic: Health
The key to conquering IELTS is learning the right words. It is highly likely that you will not be able to learn all new English words, so you have to make up your mind which kinds of new words you should pay focus on. In IELTS Exam, there are 9 common topics used for IELTS Writing and Speaking, namely Health, People, Energy and Environment, Media, Traffic, Home, Crime, Work, and Education.
There are a multitude of ways to improve your IELTS vocabulary; however, the quickest, most intelligent way is to categorize/classify new words into different topics.
So how to learn these topics in the most effective way? Here come some general suggestions for you to learn IELTS Vocabulary in these different topics:
- Jot a new word down to a notebook in terms of various topics (with its translations or definitions)
- Write the words and definitions on sticky notes or a small piece of paper (you should write the New word on the front side and its definition on the back side. So that you can only turn the note back when you forget its meaning)
- Speak new words out repeatedly. In case you get access to the Internet, you can use the online dictionary to learn how to pronounce them)
- Make associations (in pictures or with other words)
- Have somebody to test you about new vocabulary
- Utilize them to practice for your IELTS speaking or writing
During the process of learning IELTS Vocabulary, you should have dictionary, notebook and marker, sticky notes and some partners to practice the new words.
Below are the download links for the aforementioned top 9 common topics for IELTS Exam. Each topic includes Vocabulary and Exercise for practice, which extracted from the top-selling vocabulary IELTS books such as English Vocabulary in Use, English Collocation in Use, Cambridge IELTS Practice Test, etc
You can download here:
To see more IELTS Materials for improving Vocabulary, you can have a look at the latest posts:
- English Vocabulary in Use (Elementary)
- English Vocabulary in Use (Upper-Intermediate)
- Check your Vocabulary for the IELTS Exam
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (May – August) & Sample Answers - October 20, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!