Widen Your Vocabulary for IELTS-Key Word:Progress
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
- At the end of each school term parents______their child’s progress with a teacher.
- Since he moved to his new school. William has______a lot of progress.
- I remember my Uncle George took a personal interest in my education. He______my progress closely and gave me help and a lot of encouragement.
- The British were enthusiastic builders of railways. They believed railways______progress and civilisation to less developed countries.
- Each student’s progress is closely______. We use a system of regular tests to measure their progress.
- Fallen trees are______the progress of the rescue workers.
Common Adjective Collocations
2. Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
- We are making slow but______progress. The job should only take about a day longer than we anticipated.
- There has been such______progress in computer technology over the last few years that I can hardly keep up with the speed of change.
- They are having great problems trying to reach the trapped men. Progress is painfully______.
- Fortunately, there wasn’t much traffic on the roads, so we made______progress and arrived with plenty of time to spare.
- The police have made no______progress in the investigation and detectives are now appealing to the public for help.
- No agreement has been reached after five days of discussions. Progress has been______to say the least!
Go back and underline the adjective collocations.
Expressions with Prepositions
3. Choose the correct preposition for each sentence:
- We are frustrated at the lack______progress.
- Although she’s recovering from her illness, her rate______progress is quite slow.
- In order to continue your financial assistance, we will need regular updates______your progress.
- John’s teacher says that his reading and writing is showing signs______progress.
- Now that the project has started, we will need a weekly meeting for the next two months to keep a close check______progress.
- There has not been much progress______the border dispute between the two countries.
- Political observers noted that there had been a lot of progress______human rights.
- A concert was______progress in the school hall, so we looked for another room.
- The college will be closed while maintenance work is______progress.
What is the meaning of ‘Progress’ in no. 8 and 9?
1. In l-l ‘review’ is also possible.
2. We talk about economic and technological progress:
3.We use the following expression to say that not all progress is good:
4. Note the following ways of expressing ‘holding up’ progress:
- holding up
(In no. 8 and 9 ‘in progress’ means that something was happening.)
Also check :