Notwithstanding – Word of the Day for IELTS Writing & Speaking
Notwithstanding (preposition) \ˌnät-with-ˈstan-diŋ\
Meaning: in spite of something
Antonym: because of; on account of
- Notwithstanding the long delay, I still decided to set out for my journey.
Fill in the gap, using given words: notwithstanding, reluctant, levied, undergo, panel, integrity, convince, colleagues, enormous, albeit
1. The airport has _______________ a $10 surcharge for every passenger to cover the cost of renovations to the facility.
2. She has been _______________ to get into a relationship with a guy ever since her last boyfriend dumped her.
3. We continued our picnic, _______________ the light rain.
4. She is to _______________ knee surgery tomorrow morning.
5. As part of the job interview, you will be interviewed by a _______________ of people working in the department.
6. I ran into an old _______________ at a conference, and we went out for a beer after the workshop.
7. He has a reputation for _______________, and everyone trusts him completely.
8. Canada is an _______________ country, the second largest in the world.
9. My boyfriend is trying to _______________ me to get married, but I don’t think that I’m ready.
10. My parents have agreed, _______________ with some conditions, to let me borrow their car for the holidays.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 87 Topic: A time you miss an appointment - March 29, 2017
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 86 – Topic: A program or an app in your computer/ phone - March 28, 2017
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Living in Big Cities & Sample Essay - March 27, 2017