Woes – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking And Writing
Woes – /woʊs/ (Noun)
(formal) the problems and troubles affecting someone
- With adjective: economic, financial
- To win again in 1996 the Clintons must address the country’s economic woes first.
- The threat of at least one multi-million-dollar fine facing Koons and Sonnabend compounds their financial woes at this moment.
- His arrival and the Raiders’ existing financial woes have had an impact on various areas of the organisation.
- He said first he had to deal with the provincial government’s financial woes and an economic downturn.
Try to use this word “woes” in your speech
IELTS Speaking Part 3 Topic
Question 1: Are people concerned about environmental problems in your country?
Well, it’s hard to say for sure. I think some people are concerned but probably not enough of them. There are people who take environmental woes seriously enough to actually recycle their rubbish appropriately but I don’t think there are enough people who concern themselves with resource depletion which I consider to be a pressing issue. So many people are using energy and buying products without any thought to the impact of their actions. We all know that the world’s resources are being used at an alarming rate but no one seems to actually feel it’s their responsibility to change the way they live. So, I guess, although there are some people who are concerned, it’s not enough and more people in my country need to change the way they live.
Question 2: Do you believe climate change is a serious problem?
Yes, I do. The woes of climate change have been growing over the past few decades and we are now witnessing serious changes in global weather patterns. While some countries are suffering heat waves, other countries are suffering from terrible snow storms. But that isn’t the worst of the problem. The changes in the climate are also causing extreme weather such as typhoons, earthquakes and tsunamis, which are devastating many countries. On top of that, there are also concerns about rising sea levels, which although not a problem now, will be a serious concern to any low-lying country in the future. So, I feel that climate change is something which needs to be taken very seriously.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by Huy Quoc (see all)
- Woes – Word Of The Day For IELTS - January 21, 2017
- Throw Money Down The Drain – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - January 20, 2017
- Squander – Word Of The Day For IELTS - January 20, 2017