Dominate – Word of the Day for IELTS Speaking & Writing
Dominate (verb) /ˈdɒm.ɪ.neɪt/
Meaning: to have control over a place or person
Synonyms: overlook, prevail
Collocation: completely, entirely, totally, overwhelmingly, increasingly dominate
- They work as a group – no one person is allowed to dominate.
- His work increasingly dominates his life.
IELTS Writing: Territorial disputes in the South China Sea is likely to dominate the news.
Choose the following words to fill in the blank: dominance, negate, circumstances, technical, unjustified
1. His discoveries in evolution lead him to __________ his former religious beliefs.
2. Witnesses suggest that the police were entirely __________ in their use of force, as the suspect didn’t try to fight back.
3. Modern man already possesses the __________ power to solve the problems of pollution, overpopulation, and dwindling natural resources.
4. Averil Coxhead has noted that the more words students know well and can use, the more meaning they can communicate in a wide variety of __________.
5. When the leader of a group of gorillas dies, the younger males contest for __________.
Keep improving your vocabulary for IELTS & find some exercises for vocabulary on Quizlet.
If you have any questions or come up with any useful vocabulary for the IELTS test, please let me know in the comments below or on the Facebook page.
The best way to keep up to date with posts like this is to like us on Facebook.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!