Writing, reading, maths are the three recognized traditional subjects. Computer skills should be the fourth largest branch. Agree or disagree?
Introduction: Refer to topic, agree completely
Paragraph 2: Reason 1: work – computer skills essential – promotion career prospects, so schools must prepare students with these skills for work
Paragraph 3: Reason 2: study – to enter higher education, do vocational courses. Example: using online materials. Advantage for distance learning
Paragraph 4: Reason 3: social life/ leisure. Example: Facebook/ chat rooms. Dating/ chatting/ downloading
Conclusion: Computer skills as important as numeracy/ literacy as school subject
The digital revolution has transformed the lives of billions of people across the world. It has changed the way that people work, learn and communicate. Therefore, I agree completely that computer skills should be one of the core subjects in the school curriculum, alongside reading, writing and mathematics.
Firstly, in today’s employment market, computer literacy is essential for most well-paid jobs or simply routine desk jobs. In order to pursue a successful career, to have better job prospects, promotion opportunities and to move up the career ladder, employees of all ages must be able to apply computer skills to many of the tasks which they have to perform. Schools must ensure that students have a good grasp of computer skills as an essential preparation for the world of work.
Secondly, computer skills are demanded of all students wishing to enter higher education or even to pursue most vocational courses. For example, an enormous amount of research has been published on the internet across the whole spectrum of disciplines. If students lack the necessary skills to access these materials online, they will probably fail to make the grade and complete their studies. Students with computer skills can also take advantage of opportunities for distance learning, through video conferencing and the college intranet.
Finally, in terms of leisure and social life, computer skills enable people to join social networking sites, such as Facebook or chat rooms, or to maintain contact through Skype. Whether it is internet dating, chatting, downloading podcasts or music, social interaction is almost unimaginable without the possession of some computer skills.
In conclusion, socio-economic changes have revolutionised the daily lives of people, and it is essential that computer skills should be taught alongside numeracy and literacy in order to equip youngsters to face the modern world.
Written by Ngoc Bach – 297 words
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!