IELTS Writing Actual Test & Band 8.0 Argumentative Essay – Topic: Youth Communication
Some people think that the increasing use of computers and mobile phones in communication has negative effects on young people’s reading and writing skills. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in March, 2016 – Band 9.0 Model Discursive Essay
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in December, 2015 & Band 9.0 Cause/Solution Essay
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (December, 2015) & Band 9.0 Sample
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (November, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Answers
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (November, 2015) & Band 9.0 Samples
Band 8.0 Sample:
Such technological equipment as mobile phones and computers have acquired their significance in the modern-day communication of the young. Personally, I believe that this has both positive and negative effects on their reading and writing skills.
On the one hand, I agree that excessive reliance on these devices is responsible for the young generation’s poor performance in reading and writing. Firstly, many people have a strong preference for computer software when composing text documents due to its convenient functions. For example, Microsoft Word provides users with the ability to modify or erase a piece of text without effort, simultaneously slowing down the writing speed of the users. In addition, young people who spend much time playing with their phones and computers are likely to have insufficient time for reading activities. Gradually, the lack of practice may impair their reading competence in the long term.
On the other hand, it is also true that the proper use of electronic devices can have a positive effect on reading and writing skills. The Internet has now been made accessible through both mobile phones and computers, allowing young readers to gain knowledge from a wider range of sources. Online English newspapers, as an example, are useful for English learners to enrich their vocabulary. Using computers to write blogs is also a good way to enhance the writing skill. Today, the availability of Internet infrastructure can enable bloggers to update their stories at their convenience. By writing regularly, the writing ability of a person is certain to improve.
In conclusion, it seems to me that the use of electronic equipment items can have both advantages and drawbacks for the reading and writing skills of users, depending on the way they are used.
- Preference (n): the fact that you like something more than another thing.
==>In the countries where homosexual relationships have not been legalised and accepted, many homosexuals are still facing social discrimination because of their sexual preference.
- To modify (v): to change something slightly to improve it or make it more acceptable.
==>Instead of administering punishments on first time law offenders, the legal system should encourage them to modify their behaviour.
- Without effort (prep phrase): in an easy way.
==>The government should send more teachers to remote areas in order that the people there can access get access to education without effort.
- Simultaneously (adv): at the same time.
==>University students should find part time jobs to accumulate more experience, simultaneously earning some money to cover their daily expenses.
- Insufficient (adj): not enough
==>There is usually insufficient time left for doctors to allocate for their personal life after they have finished work at the hospital.
- Gradually (adv): slowly over a period of time or a distance.
==>Gradually, constant exposure to polluted air will cause people to suffer from respiratory diseases.
- To impair (v): to spoil something or make it weaker so that it is less effective
==>When people are exposed to constant high pitch noise, their hearing is likely to be impaired.
- Competence (n): the ability to do something well
==>It may take years for learners to reach a reasonable level of competence in English
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!