Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 +: FOOD, TRAVEL AND HOLIDAYS – Practice Exercises and Answer Key (Part 1)
FOOD, TRAVEL AND HOLIDAYS ( Part 1)
(A) Chose the correct answer option from the four choices, a – d.
- The room was_____________ decorated in gold and silver; it was quite simply over the top.
a ostentatiously b. tantalisingly c. tactfully d. benevolently
- They made _____________ preparations in anticipation of the arrival of their celebrity guests.
a degenerate b. decadent c. elaborate d. strenuous
- It was a(n) _____________ location with an intoxicating sense of romance, something akin to what one might find described in a fairytale.
a chivalrous b. whimsical c. enchanting d. extravagant
- The decor of the hotel was _____________; it screamed ‘five-star’ from the moment you stepped into the lobby.
a sumptuous b. picturesque c. idyllic d. quaint
- Dinner was_____________ , and the after-dinner entertainment was equally exceptional.
a delectable b. despicable c. voluptuous d. ravishing
- The location was far from _____________ and certainly not as described on the brochure,
a nostalgic b. melodious c. opulent d. idyllic
- The venue had a lovely, warm _____________ and we felt very comfortable there.
a semblance b. ambience c. traction d. disposition
- The prices were _____________ and there was little value for money to be had in any of the items on the menu.
a oppressive b. exacting c. extortionate d. fraudulent
- The _____________ was decorated in an Edwardian style, but it looked like the inside of the building had been brought right up to date.
a facade b. veneer c. guise d. camouflage
- Our hotel room was surprisingly _____________ , especially taking into consideration that it was very reasonably priced.
a decadent b. commodious c. languid d. vivacious
- The level of service we received from all staff, without exception, was quite simply _____________ .
a gallant b. solicitous c. punctilious d. exemplary
- The hotel’s description in the brochure was_____________ in the extreme and we were left utterly disappointed on arrival.
a fallacious b. pretentious c. perplexing d. erratic
(B) Put the words of similar meaning together in groups.
|cramped immaculate spotless elegant inconspicuous cluttered
quirky offbeat remote subtle chic secluded
sombre rowdy garish subdued trendy picturesque
boisterous functional quaint refined gaudy utilitarian
- Not spacious
- a 2. c 3. c 4. a 5. a 6. d 7. b 8. c 9. a 10. b 11. d 12. a
11. cramped/ cluttered
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!