IELTS Holiday Vocabulary : Useful Phrases & Expressions in IELTS Speaking
- 1 IELTS Actual Tests Questions (January - April 2021) with Answers
- 2 Useful Collocations & Phrases for IELTS Speaking Test – Topic : Holiday
- 3 Practice
- 3.1 IELTS Speaking Part 1 :
- 3.2 IELTS Speaking Part 2 :
- 3.3 Band 8.0 Sample Answer :
- 3.4 IELTS Speaking Part 3 :
- 3.5 Related Posts:
The topic given is Holiday and the vocabulary that must be included in this topic is provided in this article. This vocabulary will help the test taker explain the topic with more clarity and explanation. When you get these kinds of topics in the IELTS exam you can talk more about your experience, that you have got in the holidays. You can make use of the vocabulary given while speaking about these kinds of topics.
To continue my series of vocabulary for common topics in the IELTS Speaking test, I would like to share some collocations of Holiday topic to you. Since the holiday is one of the most frequent topics in the IELTS speaking test, it is necessary to know a number of uncommon words in terms of holiday topic, which can help you to achieve a higher band in the IELTS speaking test.
IELTS Actual Tests Questions (January - April 2021) with Answers
You will probably be asked to talk about the topic of Holiday in IELTS Speaking. Hence, you need to prepare for this. One way you can do that is by learning some useful collocations & phrases to sound more natural.
You can find these collocations & expressions below & make the most out of them to stand apart from the crowd and get the IELTS Band score you need for the Speaking test.
I hope you will enjoy studying, and it is guaranteed that learning this vocabulary below can help you find it easy to talk about your holiday with your friends as well as examiners.
Positive Effects of Holiday
- To get away from it all : get away from work and studies
Example: Travelling can be regarded as a recreational activity, which could allow travelers to get away from it all
- Spend quality time with family and friends
Example: Going on a holiday is a time when family can be together and spend quality time with each other.
Negative Effects of Holiday
- Impair the local environment : destroy the local environment
Example: Many tourists throw rubbish into the water, which can significantly impair the local environment
- Cost an arm and a leg : cost a lot of money
Example: Travelling overseas will cost people an arm and a leg.
Also check :
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Speaking preparation tips
- Linking words for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Speaking recent actual test
- Best IELTS Vocabulary books
- Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS Listening words
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Idioms for IELTS Speaking
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS
- IELTS Pronunciation Guide
- Common English words in IELTS Speaking
- Ough words
Useful Collocations & Phrases for IELTS Speaking Test – Topic : Holiday
1. Holiday of a lifetime : a special holiday that you are unlikely to repeat
Example: My trip to Ha Long Bay last week is the holiday of a lifetime in which I had a lot of memorable memories with my family.
2. All – in package/ package holiday : a holiday where you purchase the travel and accommodation together
Example: I do not prefer packaged holidays because when it comes to traveling, I have always wanted to explore a new place by myself.
3. Guided tour : an organized group shown around a place of interest by an expert
Example: It is suggested that signing up for a guided tour could help traveler to avoid tourist traps.
4. Holiday destination : where you go for a holiday
Example: Ha Long Bay is a famous holiday destination in Vietnam, where welcome a million of traveler a year.
5. A far-off destination : somewhere a long way away
Example: These days traveling to a far-off destination is really common activity, which attract attention from many young travelers.
6. Places of interest : sites of interest to tourists
Example: When going to a new place, the first thing I will do is to travel to some places of interest and try local food.
7. To go sightseeing : to look around the tourist sites
Example: I like to go sightseeing at the weekend with my friends in the countryside areas.
8. Breathtaking view : an extremely beautiful view
Example: One thing that I really love about my previous trip is that I could experience many breathtaking view.
9. Hordes of tourists : crowds of tourists
Example: On holiday season, a tour guide get very busy with hordes of tourists.
10. Local crafts : objects produced locally
Example: The shop sell a various types of local crafts with a wide range of prices.
11. Charter – flight : a cheaper form of flying than a scheduled flight
Example: I usually choose to travel by charter – flight, then I could save a lot of money in term of travelling cost.
12. Check – in desk : the place at the airport where you register for your flight and deposit your luggage
Example: Check – in desk is the first place that you have to go to when you want to get on the plane.
Browse HTML articles here to get great tips on web editing and other tech-related topics!
IELTS Speaking Part 1 :
What kind of holiday do you like ?
Whenever I go on a holiday with my family, I usually choose to sign up for a guided tour, which will have us to avoid tourist traps. Also, by doing that we will have an opportunity to experience a professional tour in which I can learn a lot about the new place.
What do you like to do when you’re on holidays ?
I prefer going sightseeing with my family around the place where I travel to, then I take some photographs, which allows me to keep memorable memories. Not to mention that, one of my favorite activity is to go around and try some local food.
IELTS Speaking Part 2 :
Describe a holiday you have had.
Where you went?
How you got there?
What you did there?
and explain if you enjoyed it.
Band 8.0 Sample Answer :
Last week, I had two days off, so my family decided to go on a picnic in a park, which is not a very popular holiday destination & quite near my house. It took us about 30 minutes to get there. Since we did not prefer package holiday, we chose to explore the place by ourselves, which would be flexible for us to travel.
We got up at 6 am, and started to go there by car. When we were on the way travelling to there, we saw hordes of tourists along the road, which made me feel really excited. After 30-minute drive, eventually my family and I arrived at 6.30 am. Then my sister and I began to prepare the food and drinks, while my parents set up the tent. After finishing the preparation stage, my older sister and I went sightseeing around the park, and it is interesting that although the park is not a famous destination, there are breathtaking views that I could barely experience in the city areas. When we got hungry, we ate sandwiches that we prepared at home.
- When the sun was about to go down, we gathered around the fire and grilled the beef and potatoes for dinner, then we sang a song. At that moment I did not think of any thing and my mind went blank, I felt like I can get away from it all. Then we had the chance to talk to each other, spend quality time with each other to share laughter and happiness together, and relax in the middle of stunning landscape.For me, it is a holiday of a lifetime & a once-in-a-lifetime experience which gave me a lot of precious memories with my family that I will never forget.
IELTS Speaking Part 3 :
What do you think has led to the growth in the tourist industry ?
In my opinion, affordable price of tour is the most important factor which led to the development in the tourist industry. Indeed, in the present, using all-in packages to travel to some famous destination is the common way, which do not cost much money and it is very easy for everyone to pay for the trip.
What are some of the benefits of going away on holiday ?
Firstly, it could give us a wonderful chance to unwind or chill out after tiring days at work. For example, we could go to a far – off destination and stay for few days and we can stop thinking about hard work and get some rest. The second benefit of going on a holiday is we can spend quality time with our family, which is really precious in the modern world because almost all the time we have to work or study, hence we have less time to be with our family.