IELTS Holiday Vocabulary : Useful Phrases & Expressions in IELTS Speaking
- 1 Useful Collocations & Phrases for IELTS Speaking Test – Topic : Holiday
- 2 Practice
The topic given is Holiday and the vocabulary that must be included in this topic is provided in this article. This vocabulary will help the test taker explain the topic with more clarity and explanation. When you get these kinds of topics in the IELTS exam you can talk more about your experience, that you have got in the holidays. You can make use of the vocabulary given while speaking about these kinds of topics.
To continue my series of vocabulary for common topics in the IELTS Speaking test, I would like to share some collocations of Holiday topic to you. Since the holiday is one of the most frequent topics in the IELTS speaking test, it is necessary to know a number of uncommon words in terms of holiday topic, which can help you to achieve a higher band in the IELTS speaking test.
You will probably be asked to talk about the topic of Holiday in IELTS Speaking. Hence, you need to prepare for this. One way you can do that is by learning some useful collocations & phrases to sound more natural.
You can find these collocations & expressions below & make the most out of them to stand apart from the crowd and get the IELTS Band score you need for the Speaking test.
I hope you will enjoy studying, and it is guaranteed that learning this vocabulary below can help you find it easy to talk about your holiday with your friends as well as examiners.
Positive Effects of Holiday
- To get away from it all : get away from work and studies
Example: Travelling can be regarded as a recreational activity, which could allow travelers to get away from it all
- Spend quality time with family and friends
Example: Going on a holiday is a time when family can be together and spend quality time with each other.
Negative Effects of Holiday
- Impair the local environment : destroy the local environment
Example: Many tourists throw rubbish into the water, which can significantly impair the local environment
- Cost an arm and a leg : cost a lot of money
Example: Travelling overseas will cost people an arm and a leg.
Also check :
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Speaking preparation tips
- Linking words for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Speaking recent actual test
- Best IELTS Vocabulary books
- Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS Listening words
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Idioms for IELTS Speaking
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS
- IELTS Pronunciation Guide
- Common English words in IELTS Speaking
- Ough words
Useful Collocations & Phrases for IELTS Speaking Test – Topic : Holiday
1. Holiday of a lifetime : a special holiday that you are unlikely to repeat
Example: My trip to Ha Long Bay last week is the holiday of a lifetime in which I had a lot of memorable memories with my family.
2. All – in package/ package holiday : a holiday where you purchase the travel and accommodation together
Example: I do not prefer packaged holidays because when it comes to traveling, I have always wanted to explore a new place by myself.
3. Guided tour : an organized group shown around a place of interest by an expert
Example: It is suggested that signing up for a guided tour could help traveler to avoid tourist traps.
4. Holiday destination : where you go for a holiday
Example: Ha Long Bay is a famous holiday destination in Vietnam, where welcome a million of traveler a year.
5. A far-off destination : somewhere a long way away
Example: These days traveling to a far-off destination is really common activity, which attract attention from many young travelers.
6. Places of interest : sites of interest to tourists
Example: When going to a new place, the first thing I will do is to travel to some places of interest and try local food.
7. To go sightseeing : to look around the tourist sites
Example: I like to go sightseeing at the weekend with my friends in the countryside areas.
8. Breathtaking view : an extremely beautiful view
Example: One thing that I really love about my previous trip is that I could experience many breathtaking view.
9. Hordes of tourists : crowds of tourists
Example: On holiday season, a tour guide get very busy with hordes of tourists.
10. Local crafts : objects produced locally
Example: The shop sell a various types of local crafts with a wide range of prices.
11. Charter – flight : a cheaper form of flying than a scheduled flight
Example: I usually choose to travel by charter – flight, then I could save a lot of money in term of travelling cost.
12. Check – in desk : the place at the airport where you register for your flight and deposit your luggage
Example: Check – in desk is the first place that you have to go to when you want to get on the plane.
Browse HTML articles to get great tips on web editing and other tech-related topics!
IELTS Speaking Part 1 :
What kind of holiday do you like ?
Whenever I go on a holiday with my family, I usually choose to sign up for a guided tour, which will have us to avoid tourist traps. Also, by doing that we will have an opportunity to experience a professional tour in which I can learn a lot about the new place.
What do you like to do when you’re on holidays ?
I prefer going sightseeing with my family around the place where I travel to, then I take some photographs, which allows me to keep memorable memories. Not to mention that, one of my favorite activity is to go around and try some local food.
IELTS Speaking Part 2 :
Describe a holiday you have had.
Where you went?
How you got there?
What you did there?
and explain if you enjoyed it.