How to Reschedule OET Exam Date
What if, after several weeks of rigorous training, a pressing matter or an emergency is preventing you from taking the OET on the scheduled date?
It is high time you know that other options exist besides cancelling your reservation and signing up for a new test date. In addition to withdrawing and receiving a refund, you can change the date of your test. Keep reading to uncover all the details.
OET: Basic Information
Healthcare workers who wish to register, work, or study in an English-speaking setting must pass the high-stakes OET (Occupational English Test), an English language competency test that has been accredited. Candidates must obtain a minimum score on each of the measurable sub-tests in order to satisfy the requirements of recognized organizations (Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking).
The OET simulates healthcare environments through roleplaying. It allows you to learn how to interact with patients in a safe and secure setting by practising. It is intended expressly for the 12 medical professions, such as dentistry, nursing, and medicine. The OET is accepted as evidence of English proficiency by healthcare regulators worldwide.
The objectives of the OET regulations are to ensure that all candidates receive fair and equitable treatment. The test environment is secure and all employees adhere to high standards of performance. These regulations also cover the rules and regulations surrounding OET exam rescheduling.
Before making a reservation for OET, you must first officially register yourself, i.e., create an account. You will need to choose the OET testing date and delivery method that works best for you. OET’s reservation costs are paid upfront at the time of booking the test.
Thus, if you do not show up to the test centre on the day of your exam – unless there are extenuating circumstances, you will not receive any refund of the test amount. Therefore, to prevent the loss of funds, you must strive to reschedule your OET exam immediately upon learning that you will not be able to attend the exam on the previously determined date.
Rescheduling the OET Exam
If you have scheduled OET but are unable to take the exam on the designated date, you may reschedule to the next available date. Rescheduling your OET Exam date is also officially called OET Deferral.
Some important notes related to OET Rescheduling are listed below:
- When rescheduling, you must resubmit the accompanying paperwork if your initial reservation included a special arrangement or testing accommodations.
- One option for rescheduling is to switch the exam location and/or date to an alternative test administration that is available. Another option that is available is changing the delivery mode. You can choose among:
- OET on Paper at a test venue.
- OET on Computer at a test venue.
- OET (Computer-based) at Home.
- The profession you have specified in your original booking and for which you have reserved the OET exam cannot be changed. If you have made a mistake while booking in this category, cancelling and re-registering for the exam is your only option.
- You are permitted to reschedule at any moment up until and including the day of the test. However, you will be subject to a rescheduling fee for this.
- The scheduling fees liable are as follows:
- Up until the reservation closing date – AUD $120
- Following the reservation’s closing date – AUD $200
- Any singular subtests cannot be postponed.
- You can reschedule your test to any open test day, including one that is still in the original test administration window, before the booking deadline. Nevertheless, you will be required to reschedule to an upcoming open test administration window if reservations have closed. All reservations are based on availability.
- Rescheduled reservations cannot be reversed once processed.
- Rescheduling your Speaking Subtest is only permitted once.
- Even on the day of the test, you can ask for a deferral on your test date – but only if you haven’t finished the registration process at your test venue yet. To do so, you will need to fill out the OET Test Day Deferral Form and submit it as well as complete payment of the administration fee. Your exam date will thereafter be postponed to the newly selected date or the following available day by the OET administration.
How to Reschedule the OET Exam?
First, you can check the closing date for your current booking date by following the steps below:
- Visit the test dates and location page.
- You can choose your test type and country from the drop-down menu.
- Locate your test.
- Your reservation’s closing date will be shown.
To defer your OET Exam reservation to a different date or location or to change the mode of exam, follow the steps given below:
- Log into your candidate profile on myOET.
- In the Action column under “My Bookings,” click the little arrow.
- Select the option of “Reschedule Booking.”
- You will be prompted to choose the test you want to postpone.
- You must reschedule the Speaking test in addition to the LRW if you want to.
- Click “Change Speaking test only” to only schedule the Speaking subtest.
- Select the new test date and/or location.
- Click on ‘Confirm’.
- You will receive the new test details in your email.
Thus, by following the stated guideline, you will be able to reschedule the OET as per your comfort.
As the OET evaluates all key skills in English that a healthcare practitioner needs to master- speaking, listening, reading, and writing, it can be daunting to take such a challenging and high-stakes English language exam. However, it is vital both for migration and to register with the healthcare board of the country you are immigrating to. A good OET score can ensure that you start a new chapter of your life with success. This test means more than just signing up and getting a job! For many, it can make or break their dreams. So, being at ease when taking this English language test is crucial because the stakes are so high. Therefore, it is advisable to register for the OET as soon as possible to get your healthcare career off to a strong start.