Using idioms is an interesting part of using a language because idioms are generated from culture and history of the nation. For those who use English as a second language, idioms are hard because they never follow logic of grammar or vocabulary, and learners have no way except learning them by heart.
However, to master English on the whole, especially to beat an IELTS test, idioms are things you have to know about, and use fluently in your speaking part to boost the score.
The more you learn about English and its culture, the more idioms will you explore. To give you a helping hand for the beginning, here are some common but effective idioms people often use in IELTS speaking test.
Once in a blue moon: The usual color of a moon is light yellow, but sometimes, for some unknown reasons and on some very rare occasions, moon can become blue. Thus, this idioms means that very rare or extraordinary.
Example: I love doing the gardening. If I forget watering my flowers, it is once in a blue moon.
Over the moon: in human culture, moon is of favorable things. That’s why this idiom means being significantly happy or pleased. You can use this idioms when talking about some of your happy experiences or about things you love.
Examples: I felt over the moon at the moment that I finally managed to pass my driving test.
A drop in the ocean: It is a common knowledge that every oceans has many drops. This idiom is quite easy to understand. It means that very small and hard to notice.
Example: Though trying hard, all my efforts to comfort her are just a drop in the ocean.
Rain cats and dogs: For you to talk about your memorable experience, using this idioms can give the listener a strong and impressive feelings about a heavy rain.
Example: On the day I have to take that important exam, it was raining cats and dogs.
Give a second thought on Sth: It means that you will think about it more or consider carefully about it.
You can use this idioms when talking about important decisions in your life.
Example: When it turned out to be that my father has cancer, I had to give a second thought on learning abroad.
A piece of cake: This idiom means very easy, and there is no need to put any effort to do.
Example: Finding restaurant seems hard to many people, but for me, it just like a piece of cake.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!