Describe A Successful Small Company Or Business That You Know – IELTS Cue Card Sample 22
Describe a successful small business that you know and admire.
You should say :
Band 9.0 Sample Answer:
Nowadays, there is a booming  trend of start-ups in my city; however, not all of them are successful. One of the businesses that I think is the most successful is a chain of restaurants and café boutiques.
I remember that 2 years ago, they only had one business in our city. It quickly became one of the favorite spots for the youth to get together. Now they have expanded with franchises  in almost every corner of my city. The fame of X has spread by word of mouth and in my case, a friend told me about it.
The owner of the chain is a young woman, who is only 31 years old. Since I have always been interested in opening up a small café/restaurant of my own, I admire her work a lot. She has successfully created a brand name for real food, in the modern era. Every time I have visited this restaurant, it has always been full and this applies to all other locations in our city.
Recently, the group announced that it had raised a 5.5 million-dollar investment from overseas funds. This proves that X could be considered to have great potential in developing further and becoming more successful in the future.
Useful Vocabulary and Expressions For IELTS Speaking :
- booming: [adjective] having a sudden increase in business, wealth and success.
Example: The owner was able to buy new machinery because his company was booming and he had money to invest.
- start-ups: [noun] companies that are just opening.
Example: Many start-ups fail because they do not have enough money to survive their first year in business.
- chain: [noun] a group of businesses owned by the same company.
Example: There are about 6 large chains of supermarkets selling food in the UK.
- boutiques: [noun] a small business that sells fashionable products.
Example: A famous street in London is full of small boutiques selling all the latest styles of clothes.
- franchises: [noun] businesses that have been given permission by a company to sell its products in a particular area.
Example: The largest restaurant franchise in the UK is McDonald’s.
- word of mouth: [expression] The chain is famous because people have talked about it to each other.
Example: The news of the accident spread by word of mouth, hours before it was reported on TV.
- brand name: [noun] the name given to a product by the company that produces it.
Example: The brand name of the most famous trainers is NIKE.
- investment: [noun] a sum of money that you lend to a business, expecting that you will make more money over a period of time.
Example: The investment of money by the bank enabled the business to expand.
Also check :
- IELTS Speaking tips
- IELTS Cue cards
- Linking words for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Speaking recent actual test
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- Work Vocabulary IELTS