IELTS Cue Card for IELTS Speaking Part 2:
Describe a person you know whose job is important to society/Describe someone in the news who you would like to meet.
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2: Describe a present you received which was made by hand
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Band 9 Sample – Topic: Describe an important plant in your country
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 in 2019 – Topic: Describe an occasion that you wore formal clothes
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample: A time you invited family or friends to have dinner at home or restaurants
Describe a person you know whose job is important to society
You should say:
who this person is
how you know this person
what job they do (= he or she does)
and explain why you think their job is important or why you think their work contributes to society.
Describe someone in the news who you would like to meet.
You should say:
who this person is
why they are in the news
and explain why you would like to meet this person.
BAND 9.0 SAMPLE ANSWER:
Today, I am going to talk about a person whose job is important to society/ in the news whom I would like to meet. It is Kenny G, the saxophonis
I first listened to his music when I was very small, starting with the well-known piece “Forever in Love”. It was so melodious and relaxing that every time I listened to it, I felt like I was on cloud 9. – Recently, Kenny G decided to hold a concert in Vietnam and it quickly became a major news story, covered in all of our media from newspapers to TV, and most radio channels. For people like me, who have been used to listening to his saxophone recordings since we were young, this was a once in a lifetime chance to meet him in person and listen to his music at a live concert, not on a music CD or online playlist.
Maybe to many people, being a musician doesn‟t contribute much to our society. However, I think that any career that we choose to pursue plays an important role in our lives. If a business person is important, so is a musician. Imagine a world without music, it would definitely be so dull and boring. In addition, music also helps us soothe our soul and relax our brain after hard days at work. Although we cannot quantify its benefit, the positive effects that music brings to our lives are undeniably worth valuing.
saxophonist: [noun] a person who plays the saxophone. Example: At the music concert, I thought that the saxophonist and the pianist were particularly good.
piece: [noun] here we use „piece‟ to mean a „piece of music‟. We usually use it to refer to classical music or jazz –not modern or rock music. Example: At the concert, Kenny G played two pieces which he had written himself.
melodious: [adjective] music which is pleasant to listen to is „melodious‟. Example: The piece was so melodious that I remember it whenever I am feeling relaxed and comfortable.
on cloud 9: [expression] extremely happy. Example: When I read that I had passed the exam, I was on cloud 9.
hold a concert: [verb phrase] to have a concert – we also use „hold a meeting/hold a competition‟ in the same way. Example: The organisers decided to hold the concert in New York.
once in a lifetime: [expression] used to describe something special that is not likely to happen to you again. Example: When my friend invited me to Brazil, I knew that this was a once in a
lifetime chance to visit the Amazon rainforest.
live concert: [noun] a concert when people are watching and listening when the event is actually taking place. Example: One thousand people attended the live concert to hear the musicians perform in person.
soothe our soul: [verb phrase] to make us feel relaxed and peaceful. Example: Rock music is loud, but to feel relaxed I prefer to listen to classical music to soothe my soul.
quantify: [verb] to express something as an amount or number. Example: The pleasure that we feel when we see or hear something beautiful is impossible to quantify.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!