IELTS Cue Card for IELTS Speaking Part 2:
Describe a meal you had your friends (in someone’s home or in a restaurant).
You should say:
who organized this meal
where you had it
what you talked about during the meal
what you ate and drank and explain why you had this meal with your friends.
BAND 9.0 SAMPLE ANSWER:
Last month, I had a get-together with some of my high school friends whom I had not met since we graduated. Then, we decided to have lunch at a well-known pizza restaurant in the city centre.
Arriving at the restaurant, we were quickly given the menu. What surprised me the most was that there were various types of pizza and drinks; hence, it took me quite a long time to choose the food. After that, we talked with each other while waiting for the dishes. Some of my friends were studying at the same university, some had decided to get a job. And I was especially impressed by the decision of one friend to take a gap year. She said that as she had a strong passion for traveling, she would spend one year visiting lots of places.
Then, the dishes were served. The pizza was out-of-this-world and the drinks were tasty although they were a bit pricey. We kept talking and enjoyed the meal and drinks for about two hours. Actually, meeting them reminded me of the time when we studied at high school and I realized that now we were all grown-up, we had our own plans to pursue. But we all promised to meet up regularly.
get-together: [noun] an informal meeting or gathering of friends. Example: We usually have a family get-together during the New Year celebrations.
gap year: [noun] the year that a young person spends working and/or travelling after leaving school and starting university. Example: I‟m planning to take a gap year before I start my university course, and I have decided to go to see India and China.
have a passion for: [expression] have a hobby or activity that you like very much. Example: He has a passion for traditional music, and he is learning to play some traditional musical instruments.
out-of-this-world: [adjective] used to emphasize how good or beautiful something is. Example: The variety of Vietnamese food available during the Tet holiday is out-ofthis-world.
tasty: [adjective] having a very delicious flavour. Example: When I want something tasty to eat, I often buy some chocolates or ice-cream.
a bit pricey: [adjective] a little expensive. Example: Although my favourite restaurant serves food that is out-of-this-world, it is unfortunately a bit pricey, so I can‟t afford to eat there often.
grown-up: [adjective] mentally and physically an adult. Example: She has a grown-up daughter who works in our local hospital.
meet up: [phrasal verb] to meet someone, usually by arranging a time and place with them first. Example: After work, we all met up at the cinema to watch the new James Bond movie.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!