Describe a painting or work of art – IELTS Cue Card Sample 76
Describe a painting or work of art
You should say:
I’d like to talk about one of the most popular paintings in the world- Mona Lisa which was painted by an Italian artist-Leonardo da Vinci. This masterpiece was acclaimed as the most recognized and most visited artwork in the history of art. The woman sits markedly upright in an armchair with her arms folded to depict Lisa as a virtuous woman and faithful wife. The painting was one of the first portraits to depict the sitter in front of an imaginary landscape, and Leonardo was one of the first painters to use the toughest drawing technique of all the time. The painting is so famous as there are so many hypothesis about it. What attracts me the most about this painting is Mona lisa’s charming smile. It’s not only the most beautiful feature on her face but also has lots of mysteries. Some people said that her smile looks different from different angle and it has been at the center of much debate and speculation over the years . The artist created a painting that is worth a thousand words and has become the iconic painting of all the time.I personally think Mona Lisa is truly an impressive painting, after all it was painted by the great Leonardo daVinci.
Click on the audio to listen to the sample answer above. Pay attention to the intonation and pronunciation of the words
Signup/Login and get access to the audio
- Masterpiece: a work done with extraordinary skill especially; a supreme intellectual or artistic achievement.
Eg: The painting in the gallery was a masterpiece in the truest sense of the word.
- Be acclaimed as: enthusiastic approval and praise
Eg: The artist’s work was acclaimed as a masterpiece.
- Depict: represented by a drawing, painting, or other art form or portray in words.
Eg: The painting didn’t depict any emotion.
- Virtuous woman and faithful wife: woman of worth and beauty
Eg: Sita was a virtuous woman and a faithful wife to her husband.
- Hypothesis: an assumption or an idea that is proposed for the sake of argument or proposition made as a basis for reasoning.
Eg: A hypothesis is tested by finding experimental evidence for it
- After much debate and speculation
Eg: The documentary has become the center of much debate and speculation as the facts in the movie are not true.
- Toughest: strong enough to withstand adverse conditions or rough handling.
Eg: Wood is the toughest material to be broken by hands.
Also check :