Some people are born to be leaders, others believe leadership can be learnt. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 8 Sample
A leader is the demand of every nation, community, group or society. He is the only one to be relied on in the hour of need for guidance, action plan and brilliant strategies. At this point, it is often discussed whether leaders are born with leadership qualities or they are carved out. Personally, I do believe that every individual is born with certain unique characteristics, but it requires exposure, learning and experience of life to become a good leader.
It is understandable that leaders are endowed with certain traits and qualities that make them better fit to leadership. To be more specific, these individuals possess certain inborn virtues, such as extroversion amongst group members, bravery to challenges, conscientiousness (i.e. target-oriented, reliable), emotional stability or business acumen, which all contributes to the foundation of leadership. A leader is naturally better in these areas while others struggle to get to the same point. For instance, many commanders who fought bravely throughout many wars come from the same families, with the next generations being skilled and talented as well. This partly explains the role of genetics in forming the personality of a person.
Those who advocate “leaders are nurtured” also have their reasons since individuals can become leaders in a structured environment through the process of learning, mentoring, and observation. This means that skills associated with leadership can be attained by training, practice and experience over time. The doctrine is quite manifest in the military as leaders often undergo training programmes and have direct contact in various battlefields. In addition, with the comprehensive education system in modern time, it is increasingly easier for most of us to learn how to become a leader. Right from primary school, children are taught to lead a group discussion or act as an arbitrator in a debate. This plays a role in forming leadership capacity in every individual.
In conclusion, both viewpoints have their own merits. While few are fortunately bestowed with leadership qualities right when they were born, leadership can also be an art. It is a set of inherent dispositions that is perfected over time with education, practice and experience for most people.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!