IELTS Writing Task 2
There are more new towns being built nowadays. It is more important to include public parks and sports facilities than shopping centres for individuals to spend their free time. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Building healthy, functional, and productive cities is perhaps the greatest challenge facing humanity today. A key part of these cities is the public spaces. I disagree with the statement that parks and sports facilities are better than shopping centres as public spaces. I firmly believe that shopping centres are as important as parks and sports facilities, so when designing new towns, all these public spaces should be given equal importance.
To begin with, public parks if developed as “places” and planned around major public destinations, build social connection and human happiness — both precious commodities in an increasingly congested urban landscape. A great urban park is a safety valve for the city, where people living in high density can find breathing room. Public parks are places where all people feel safe to play and relax, and can relieve stress. Another benefit is that crime rates and gang activities go down when more people are out on the street and know their neighbors. These places also have substantial environmental benefits. Trees reduce air and water pollution and thus they help to keep cities cooler.
Furthermore, sports facilities need to be designed and constructed so as to be functional as well as attractive in a way that encourages people to do sports and boost their feeling of well being. Modern lifestyle is very sedentary, and such public spaces such as stadiums and playgrounds would definitely promote active living and provide important physical, psychological and social health benefits for individuals and the community.
Visiting a shopping centre is one of most desirable activities of people everywhere in the world. Today, it is observed that shopping centers are used as public spaces by many urban inhabitants. Shopping centers have become places where social life is experienced and leisure time is spent through a wide range of activities offered besides shopping. For example, some shopping malls have skating rinks, where parents and children can spend good time together and have fun. The elderly come there for sitting and relaxing on the sofas and couches placed at regular intervals.
To sum up, public parks, sports facilities and shopping centres are all equally important public spaces. They are different, but have a common role of improving the life of urban residents in their own specific way.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!