IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic:
New technologies have changed the way children spend their free time. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 10th March With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- Recent IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic in 2018: Technology & Band 8.0 Model Essay
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic in 2018: Travel & Tourism & Model Essay
- IELTS Writing Test in June 2018 with Model Essay
- IELTS Writing Test in 2019 with Band 8.0 Model Essay
Currently, it is true that the way children spend their leisure time has been changed by modem technology. While this has several benefits, I believe that the drawbacks far outweigh them.
On the one hand, there are some advantages of children spending their spare time on advanced technologies. Firstly, many children tend to enjoy playing computer games, and such games might help improve their cognitive development. For example, strategic games require players to be good at problem solving and be able to deal with unexpected situations, so children who play these games can better their logical thinking and problem-solving skills. Secondly, since the source of online information is huge and readily available, young people might benefit from early exposure to the Internet. If people are able to browse the Internet at a young age, they can start their learning process earlier and as a result can advance their knowledge as they grow up.
However, I would argue that the advantages discussed above are outweighed by the disadvantages. One main drawback is that children who enjoy spending time in front of the computer screen are often reluctant to do exercise. Low physical activity levels are likely to result in children becoming overweight, and in turn they would end up being obese. In addition, some games tempt people to continue playing for hours, which could lead to gaming addiction. In role-playing games, for instance, people might need to stay in front of the computer for several hours in order to progress to higher levels, and therefore children may spend an excessive amount of time on games.
In conclusion, while there are some advantages of children spending time on advanced technologies, it seems to me that the disadvantages are more significant.
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Band 9 Sample – Topic: Describe an important plant in your country - June 8, 2019
- Band 9 Sample for Common IELTS Speaking Part 1 – Topic: Music - May 30, 2019
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 in 2019 – Topic: Describe an occasion that you wore formal clothes - May 30, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!