Key word: danger
1 Verb + danger
Use the correct form of these verbs:
expose to flirt with pass
face realise reduce
- Unfortunately, the swimmers didn’t ______________ the danger they were in until it was too late.
- During the first GulfWar, it was thought soldiers would be ____________ considerable danger through the use of chemical weapons.
- Make sure you use plenty of sun cream to______________ the danger of skin cancer.
- My brother is a real dare-devil. He loves to ______________ danger. He’s always taking risks.
- The minute I saw the snake, I stood perfectly still until the danger had ______________ .
- Children crossing this road ______________ constant danger from lorries and other heavy traffic.
2 Common adjective collocations
Match the two halves below:
- As lots of people are unaware of the hidden dangers in their homes,
- Leave immediately. You are in great danger.
- Fire is an ever-present danger in this region.
- Some kind of sixth sense seemed to warn me of impending danger.
- The doctors say that she is out of immediate danger, but
a If I hadn’t looked up, I would have been hit and probably killed by a falling stone.
b So, don’t light camp fires in the forest
c she’s still critically ill. She’s still on the danger list.
d I think someone is about to try to kill you.
e the government has issued a leaflet, explaining how to safeguard against these unseen dangers.
3 Danger + of / to
Complete the following with ‘of ’ or ‘to’:
- The judge described him as a danger ______________ society and sent him to prison for life.
- Children need to be educated about the dangers ______________ drug-taking.
- A police spokesman said that there was no danger ______________ the public at any time.
- Many people continue to ignore warnings about the dangers ______________ driving too fast.
4 Expressions with of
Complete the sentences below with the following, then underline the complete chunk in each sentence.
aware element face
possibility reminder whiff
- The couple fell to their deaths on Mont Blanc. The accident was a salutary ___________ of the dangers of mountain-climbing.
- As the tanks arrived, there was a ______________ of danger in the air. The crowd sensed it and became very tense.
- Hang-gliding is not a sport to be taken lightly. You have to understand that there is an ______________ of danger involved in it.
- My grandfather was awarded a medal in the First World War for showing great courage in the ______________ of great danger.
- First, can I make sure that you are all fully ______________ of the dangers of sailing in this part of the world.
- Afghanistan is still a dangerous place. You must be alert to the ______________ of danger when travelling alone in remote areas.
5 In danger of
Look at this example:
Some animals are in danger of becoming extinct.
Make sentences of your own on the topics below.
- The world’s rainforests – cut down
- The Leaning Tower of Pisa – fall down
- The Polar Ice Cap – melt
- Venice – flood
1. If a someone who has been very ill is now getting better, you can say that ‘they are now out of danger’.
2. Notice this expression:
His reckless driving put the lives of the passengers in danger.
- realise 2. exposed to 3. reduce 4.flirt with 5. passed 6. face
l-e 2-d 3-b 4-a 5-c
- to 2. of 3. to 4. of
- reminder 2. whiff 3. element 4. face 5. aware 6. possibility
- The world’s rainforests are in danger of being cut down.
- The Leaning Tower of Pisa is in danger of falling down.
- The Polar Ice Cap is in danger of melting.
- Venice is in danger of flooding / being flooded.
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!