Describe a time when you received a call from someone you do not know in a public place.
You should say:
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2: Describe a present you received which was made by hand
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Band 9 Sample – Topic: Describe an important plant in your country
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 in 2019 – Topic: Describe an occasion that you wore formal clothes
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample: A time you invited family or friends to have dinner at home or restaurants
- when it was
- where you were when you received it
- what the call was about
- and explain how you felt (after) when you received this call.
We often receive calls from strangers and most of the times it’s not something dangerous. But there was this one time that I really thought “well, it was close”. So one day I was finishing my lunch in a small restaurant when I received a call from a strange number. I am a teacher so I do receive calls from strangers enquiring about my courses. I picked up and the woman on the other side said, in a serious tone: “I am from the Post Office and you have this letter from the Police notifying you to cooperate with them in a cyber gambling case.”Needless to say I was shocked. Never had I even thought of taking part in illegal activity. So I asked her, breathlessly, what I would need to do next. She was like, if you want, I can transfer your call to the police station then you can talk to them directly. I had nearly said yes when I caught myself wondering “How could this post office person know so much? Are they allowed to open my letter?” So I decided to go to the post office and see the letter for myself. Apparently I found out later at the office that there was no such letter and it was a scam designed to steal money from me. It was very annoying but fortunately nothing bad happened, nothing that I know of yet anyway.
By Le Minh IELTS Band 8.5
- Do you think it’s good to talk loudly on a bus?
- In your opinion, would it be a good idea to have laws prohibiting speaking loudly in public?
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!