Describe an important decision that you made with the help of others
Describe an important decision you made with help of someone
You should say:
- what it was about;
- who helped you make this decision;
- what happened after the decision was made;
- and explain how you felt about the decision.
Last year I was working in an international company and doing quite well, so I was offered a big promotion to become a manager. But I had also been looking for opportunities to study abroad, and received an offer from a prestigious university around the same time I got the job offer. It was a scholarship that would cover all expenses, including tuition and accommodation, an enviable package.
I was in a dilemma, not knowing whether to stay and further my career or to go and further my education. So I decided to ask my friend, Hugo, for his advice, because he once faced a very similar choice. He was like, If you want to go far in this field, you have to possess excellent qualifications, because if you don’t there’s a limit to how far up you can reach, this promotion may look good now, but as far as I see there’s little room left for development.
I took his advice and am now studying in America.
- Opportunity: a time or set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something
Eg: An excellent opportunity was offered to Rose.
- Prestigious: inspiring respect and admiration; having high status.
Eg: She got admission in the prestigious IIM Ahmedabad.
- Enviable: arousing or likely to arouse envy.
Eg: Rose has built up an enviable reputation as a therapist.
- Dilemma: a situation in which a difficult choice has to be made between two different things you could do
Eg: The judges were in a dilemma to decide the winner of the competition.