Develop Your Vocabulary for IELTS – Key Word: Opportunity
1 Verb + opportunity
Use the correct form of these verbs:
come up deny give
grab take miss
- You can’t let an opportunity like a trip to Australia go by. It’s simply too good to ___________ .
- I’d like to ___________ this opportunity to thank you all for coming.
- This programme ___________ the public the opportunity to make their voices heard. So get on the phone straightaway!
- Make sure you ___________ the opportunity with both hands! You won’t get another one like it for years.
- An opportunity as good as this ___________ only once in a lifetime.
- I would have liked to have learnt Spanish at school, but I was ___________ the opportunity. Only French and German were taught.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences below with the following:
ample great missed ideal
possible rare golden right
- We need to make an appointment with you for further tests. Please contact this office at the earliest ___________ opportunity.
- Don’t worry. You will have ___________ opportunity to ask questions after the talk. The speaker intends to stay behind for about an hour.
- This is a ___________ opportunity to see all the painter’s work together in one place. There hasn’t been an opportunity like this for 20 years.
- Look, this is the right job for you! It’s a ___________ opportunity. Who else do you know gets the chance to work in New York for two years?
- I’m not changing jobs at the moment but when the ___________ opportunity comes along, I intend to take it.
- You mean he came to the club and I could have got his autograph! Another ___________ opportunity!
- If you don’t invest now, you’ll miss a ___________ opportunity to double your money.
- Club 18-25 offers an ___________ opportunity for you to meet other single people on holiday.
3 Determiner and quantifiers
Complete the sentences with these words:
only much no
this every an
- Sue isn’t the best company to be with. She talks about her children at___________ possible opportunity!
- Since we started a family we don’t get ___________ opportunity to go out dancing.
- If I have ___________ opportunity, I’ll take your books back to the library for you this afternoon.
- She’s just in town for the day. This may be your one and ___________ opportunity to meet her.
- The Professor left straight after his lecture, so there was ___________ opportunity to find out why he held such weird ideas.
- I’d like to take___________ opportunity to thank all of you for your support.
1. In 1-5 ‘arises’ is also possible.
2. Note this expression:
Make sure you make the most of this opportunity.
3. Note these ways of talking about great opportunities:
I’ll have a wonderful opportunity to practise my Italian when I’m in Rome.
From the company’s point of view, this is an excellent opportunity to expand into Europe.
We see this agreement as an exciting opportunity for both companies to work together.
4. Note these two common expressions:
All over the world women are demanding equal opportunities in the workplace.
Job opportunities for women have improved greatly.
- miss 2. take 3. gives 4.grab 5. comes up 6. denied
- possible 2. ample 3. rare 4. great 5. right 6. missed 7. golden 8. ideal
- every 2. much 3. an 4. only 5. no 6. this
Also check :
- Best IELTS Vocabulary books
- Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Listening Vocabulary
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS