Describe a healthy lifestyle you know – IELTS Speaking Band 8 Sample
- 1 Sample Answer
- 2 Questions for Part 3
Describe a healthy lifestyle you know
You should say:
- What is it?
- How do you know it?
- When you do it?
- and explain why do you think it is healthy?
I think people who live healthily always have one thing in common: they manage to strike a balance between work and life, between exercise and diet.
Even when you’re too busy, try to do some exercise or have some entertainment. You don’t need to go to the gym and spend 2 hours doing physical activity. Maybe just a small break from work and some stretching exercise is enough to keep you fit and healthy. Nowadays, more and more people suffer from a sedentary lifestyle so we always have to remind ourselves not to sit too much.
Diet is also very important. I know food can be very tempting but try to stick to healthy food, food that you know is hygienic and carefully prepared. Of course, once in a while, we can give ourselves a nice little treat, like the cheese pizza I had yesterday.
Drink a lot of water too, as water accounts for 60% of the human body weight and is key to effective metabolism.
Vocabulary For Cue Card
- Have one thing in common: to share the same interests or have similar characteristics
Eg: These twin sisters have everything in common.
- Strike a balance: To make or strive to make something equally proportioned midway between two or more conflicting or contrasting things.
Eg: The student association party must strike a balance between the right wing and the left wing of the institute.
- Sedentary: involving little exercise or physical activity
Eg: I lived a sedentary life during the lockdown.
- Stick to: to continue doing or using (something) especially when it is difficult to do so
Eg: We must stick to our story about the accident.
Questions for Part 3
1. Describe an exercise you know?
The exercise I know is called jumping jacks. You have to keep your feet together and hands by the side. Then you have to jump by keeping your feet apart and raising your hands above the head. It is a good exercise for the muscles.
2. Describe a healthy person?
A healthy person is who eats a balanced diet, drinks adequate water and does the right amount of exercise.
3. Describe your ideal healthy living environment?
Nowadays, societies are built in such a way that they are ideal for healthy living. They have plenty of greenery, gyms, parks, swimming pools etc. People living there can go for a morning walk, workout in the gym and start their day. In the evenings, they can spend time in the parks.
4. Describe your lifestyle?
I’m an office-goer. So I don’t get enough time for workouts on weekdays. But I ensure I eat a nutritious diet and have a water bottle on my table which is a reminder for drinking water. Also, I do yoga in the weekends.
Vocabulary for part 3
- Raise: to cause something to become bigger or stronger
Eg: The students association raised the money and gave it to the needy people.
- Adequate: enough or good enough for a particular purpose
Eg: The school lunch should be adequate to meet the nutritional needs of growing children.
- Society: the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.
Eg: The society members selected Meera as the vice president.
- Nutritious: efficient as food; nourishing
Eg: The food served at the hostel canteen is healthy and nutritious.
Also check :