Describe an interesting part of your country – IELTS Band 8 Sample
Describe a part of your country that you find interesting
You must say:
- Where it is
- How you got to know about it
- What is it famous for?, and
- Explain why you think it is interesting
I’m going to talk about ABC, a mountainous town that is very well-known in my country. It takes about six to seven hours by train to get to ABC from my city. You can also go by bus which would take a bit longer.
ABC is a popular tourist destination because of its climate; the weather is always cool there due to the high altitude. People from across Vietnam come here to escape summer heat or enjoy the sight of snow in winter.
This small town is also famous for the ethnic minority people that live here. You can often see these people go around the town selling products and services to foreigners.
If you feel adventurous, you can go on a 2-day trip to get to the highest summit in my country – known as XYZ. This requires a certain level of fitness, and even if you have prepared yourself, you would still need to hire porters to carry basic supplies along the way. Standing on the mountain top overlooking the whole region is an experience not to be missed!
- Destination: the place to which someone or something is going or being sent.
Eg: They are going to their favorite destination next week.
- Ethnic: relating to a particular race of people
Eg: Rose decided to wear an ethnic saree on the occasion of Diwali.
- Adventurous: willing to take risks or to try out new methods, ideas, or experiences.
Eg: John loves adventurous rides.
- Overlook: have a view of from above
Eg: We can overlook the airport from here.
Also check :