IELTS Cue Card for IELTS Speaking:
Describe an occasion when you got up very early.
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2: Describe a present you received which was made by hand
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Band 9 Sample – Topic: Describe an important plant in your country
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 in 2019 – Topic: Describe an occasion that you wore formal clothes
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample: A time you invited family or friends to have dinner at home or restaurants
You should say:
when it happened
why you got up early
who you were with
and explain how you felt about getting up early.
Describe a long car journey you went on
You should say:
where you went
why you went there
who you travelled with
what you saw on the trip (on the way)
and explain why you went by car.
BAND 8.0 SAMPLE ANSWER:
Like many other young people, I don’t have the habit of waking up early every day, only for special occasions. Last weekend, I and a group of my friends decided to go on a trip to the mountainous area of my country called [………..]. We had to leave very early in the morning so that we did not get stuck in the traffic. In addition, we would have more time to spend there.
It wasn‟t easy to get up early in the morning, because I had been so excited about the trip that I had barely slept that night. I had never been to this place before. It is located in the northern part of my country so I knew that we faced a long drive ahead. We had decided to go by car since, that way, all 5 of us could travel together. Moreover, everyone reckoned that it would be safer than going by motorbike. Waking up early did not feel that bad at all, even though it was the first time I had done so for many months. To begin with, I felt a bit sleepy, but then the pure morning air freshened me completely.
After 5 hours driving, we arrived at our destination. We were amazed to see a vast land filled with the yellow color of terraced rice fields, ready to be harvested. Under the sunlight, these rice fields sparkled like gold. We stayed for one night with a local host and helped the family with their regular tasks before setting out for home the next day. It was such an amazing trip, and it helped us to learn more about the countryside and the way of life of those who live there. I‟d love to make more trips like that in the future.
get stuck: [verb phrase] to be in an unpleasant situation that you can‟t escape from.
Example: I left work early, because I didn‟t want to get stuck in traffic on my way home.
barely: [adverb] something that can be achieved, but only with difficulty.
Example: We barely had time to catch the train, so we ran all the way to the station.
faced a long drive ahead: [verb phrase] a long car journey.
Example: My advice is to sleep well if you face a long drive ahead the next day.
reckon: [verb] to think or have an opinion about something.
Example: If I want to lose weight, I reckon that I will have to eat less bread.
freshen: [verb] to make something cooler and more pleasant.
Example: The rain freshened the air.
vast: [adjective] very big.
Example: The Amazon is a vast rainforest.
harvest: [verb] to cut and collect a crop, such as rice.
Example: Every year, bananas are harvested from the trees on my uncle‟s farm.
sparkle: [verb] to shine brightly.
Example: The sky sparkled with thousands of stars.
setting out: [phrasal verb] leaving a place and beginning a journey.
Example: I finished my breakfast and set out for the train station.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!