Describe a time you miss an appointment
You should say:
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2: Describe a present you received which was made by hand
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Band 9 Sample – Topic: Describe an important plant in your country
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 in 2019 – Topic: Describe an occasion that you wore formal clothes
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample: A time you invited family or friends to have dinner at home or restaurants
- When was it?
- Why were you late?
- How did you feel about it?
and say what happened as a result of being late.
Sample Band 8.0+
I can describe myself as a well-organized person. However. I sometimes get late to reach my destination due to several external and internal factors. One such event when I was late in an appointment with my investors was a frustrating experience to me.
Since I was just knee high to a grass hopper, I had a burning desire to set up my own business. Therefore, when I was a senior student, with a view to being given financial support to run my start-up, I had a pivotal date with numerous investors. I highly appreciated that appointment; therefore, I had worked against the clock and buried myself in a mountain of workload, even I must burn the midnight oil to complete my project which would be shown to investors. When the day came, I felt dead tired. You know, I had to make every effort to get up but it was still late 20 minutes when I left my home. Unfortunately, the road suffered from intensive traffic congestion, which is a common scenario in my city. I failed to use different kinds of transport from bus to taxi to escape this crowd. Finally, I reached the location 1 hour later than my scheduled time. Honestly speaking, while the investors showed their sense of anger, I experienced the feeling of panic and I just presented my project with half a heart.
Obviously, I was rejected and I felt extremely disappointed. That was a painful experience to me, and since then I’ ve tried my best not to be late for any appointments ever again.
Useful Vocabulary & Expressions
Well-organized (adj) having good organization; orderly and efficient
Knee high to a grass hopper (idiom) very small or very young
Set up (phrasal verb) start a business
With a view to doing something (phrase) with the hope of doing something in the future
Pivotal (adj) extremely important
Against the clock (phrase) trying very hard to finish something before a particular time
Burn the midnight oil (idiom) to work until very late at night
Dead tired (phrase) very tired
With half a heart (phrase) With only a little or moderate amount of enthusiasm or interest
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!