Environment is a controversial topic in life and in IELTS as well. If you don’t prepare yourself for environment topic, you will find it hard to express your idea when facing the topic in the IELTS test or in the real-life conversation. Thus, my advice is that you should equip yourself with some phrases and collocations about environment right now.
At first, there are several causes and solution of environmental issues.
- IELTS Speaking Test in Jan 2018 & Sample Answers
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS Speaking – Topic: Food
- Common Idioms to Improve Your IELTS Score – Topic: Memory and mind
- Two-Word Prepositions to Score Band 7.0+ in IELTS Writing & Speaking (Part 3)
- Formal Prepositions to score Band 7.0 or Higher in IELTS (Part 2)
Causes Of Environmental Problems
- Chemical and industrial waste
Example: The chemical and industrial waste being released from factories cause to the pollution of my local area.
- Emission from cars and motorbikes
Example: The pollution of land and air can be blamed for emission from cars and motorbikes.
Solutions To Environmental Problems
- To raise people awareness of preserving water and forest resources
Example: It is necessary to run some campaigns to raise people awareness of preserving water and forest resource.
- To use alternative energy resources
Example: In order to mitigate the environmental issues, alternative energy resources such as wind and solar energy should be implemented.
Collocations And Phrases For IELTS Speaking Test – Topic: Environment
1. Wildlife reserve/ nature reserve/ game reserve: an area of land in which plants and animals are protected
Example: Rare animals should be protected in game reserve.
2. Wildlife conservation: to protect animals and plants and their habitats
Example: The government are considering whether they should invest money on wildlife conservation.
3. Natural environment: the place where animals and plants would normally be found
Example: Legislation to protect natural environment should be enacted due to enhanced greenhouse effect.
4. Toxic waste/poisonous fumes/emissions: poisonous rubbish produced by industrial process
Example: Local people are suffered from great deal of toxic waste being released by factories.
5. Air quality: the cleanliness of the air we breathe
Example: Living in the environment with high air quality can have a good impact on our health.
6. Pollution levels: the amount of toxic waste
Example: Many factories are releasing waste illegally into air and water, which contributes to the increase of pollution levels.
7. Man-made disaster: widespread damage or loss of life brought about by action of humans
Example: Man-made disaster is a controversial issue, and people should pay more attention to find a solution for this problem.
8. Loss of habitats: the decline in areas of land where animals and plants would normally exit
Example: Due to logging, loss of habitats is increasingly common at present.
9. Endangered species: animals or plants are on the verge of extinction
Example: We have to take the responsibility for protecting endangered species from hunting and natural disaster.
10. To die out: to become extinction
Example: The population of Kangaroo are is in danger of dying out.
11. Global warming: the increasing temperature of the world brought about by gases such as CO2
Example: We are beginning to experience global warming due to the enhanced greenhouse effect.
12. Greenhouse effect: the gradual warming of the air surrounding the Earth as a result of heating trapped by pollution
Example: The deforestation of forests is contributing to greenhouse effect.
IELTS Speaking Task 1:
Are there any environmental problems in your country?
Absolutely yes, the most common environmental issue in my hometown is exhausted emissions produced by cars and motorbikes have been afflicting the air and water quality. My government is struggling to deal with the problem.
Do you take an interest in nature?
Of course yes, As a city person, I barely have a opportunity to experience the natural environment. Then whenever I have a holiday, I really prefer to go to the far-off destination, so I could get closer to the nature and discover the natural world.
Do you or your family take steps to help the environment?
Yes we do. We always turn of lights or electronic appliances when they are unnecessary. Although this is minor action, but I believe that it could make significantly contribution to the environment.
IELTS Speaking Task 2:
Describe environmental pollution in you city.
- What type of pollution is/are?
- Why it had happened?
- And explain how this pollution can be controlled?
I have been living in Hanoi for almost 8 years, then I have the chance to see how the city has changed in these years. Due to the increasing number of tourist, Hanoi’ environment has been polluted significantly. Indeed, many people traveling to there has thrown illegally thrown rubbish into the land and water, which causes to land and water pollution. In addition, industrial and household waste from factories and families is contributing to the high level of pollution.
In order to solve this issues, I would recommend the Hanoi’s authority to heavily fine who are caught realising trash into the atmosphere. By carrying out the rule, people being intent to litter the environment will be afraid of being punished, which can deter them from discharging unlawful waste . Another solution is that the government should run some campaigns to raise the awareness of people about how important the environment is. For example, showing local people and visitors the danger of global warming and greenhouse effect that I believe could change their attitude towards the protection of environment, which is likely to have a good impact on air quality.
Although the two actions above is just simple, I think it will be an effective way to mitigate the environmental contamination in a long-term.
IELTS Speaking Part 3:
What do you think is the main danger the world face in term of environment?
It would have to be global warming, which cause some natural disasters such as flash flood and drought. The problem mainly stems from enhanced greenhouse effect in recent year. I believe that several steps should be taken to deal with the issue.
What example are there of how we damage the natural world?
There are factories that release toxic waste directly into the air and water, which is main cause of air and water pollution. As a result loss of habitats is increasingly common, many people are diagnosed with health problems such as lung and throat cancer. In addition, a large number of land and rain forests are destroyed to make a way for agriculture field.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!