IELTS Environment Vocabulary : Useful Phrases & Expressions in IELTS Speaking
Environment is a controversial topic in life, and in IELTS as well. If you don’t prepare yourself for this topic, you will find it hard to express your idea when facing the topic during your IELTS test or in real-life conversations. Thus, our advice is that you should equip yourself with some phrases and collocations about environment right now.
At first, let’s look at the several causes of environmental issues and their possible solutions.
- 0.1 Causes of Environmental Problems
- 0.2 Solutions to Environmental Problems
- 0.3 Collocations and Phrases for IELTS Speaking Test -Topic: Environment
- 1 IELTS Actual Tests Questions (January - April 2021) with Answers
- 2 Practice
Causes of Environmental Problems
- Chemical and industrial waste:
Example: Chemical and industrial waste from the factories pollute my neighbourhood.
- Emission from cars and motorbikes
Example: Emission from cars and motorbikes can be blamed for pollution in land and air.
Solutions to Environmental Problems
- Raising awareness in people about preserving water and forest resources
Example: It is necessary to run some campaigns to raise awareness in people about the importance of preserving water and forest resources.
- Using alternative energy resources
Example: In order to mitigate the environmental issues, alternative energy resources such as wind and solar energy should be implemented.
Collocations and Phrases for IELTS Speaking Test -Topic: Environment
1. Wildlife reserve/ nature reserve/ game reserve : an area of land in which plants and animals are protected
Example: Rare animals should be protected in game reserve.
2. Wildlife conservation : to protect animals and plants and their habitats
Example: The government is considering whether they should invest money on wildlife conservation.
IELTS Actual Tests Questions (January - April 2021) with Answers
3. Natural environment : the place where animals and plants would normally be found
Example: Legislation to protect natural environment should be enacted due to enhanced greenhouse effect.
4. Toxic waste/poisonous fumes/emissions : poisonous rubbish produced by industrial process
Example: Local people are suffering due to a great deal of toxic waste being released by factories.
5. Air quality : the cleanliness of the air we breathe
Example: Living in an environment with high air quality can have a good impact on our health.
6. Pollution levels : the amount of toxic waste
Example: Many factories are releasing waste illegally into air and water, which contributes to the increase of pollution levels.
7. Man-made disaster : widespread damage or loss of life brought about by action of human beings
Example: Man-made disaster is a controversial issue, and people should pay more attention to find a solution for this problem.
8. Loss of habitats : the decline in areas of land where animals and plants would normally exist
Example: Due to logging, loss of habitats is increasingly common at present.
9. Endangered species : animals or plants are on the verge of extinction
Example: We have to take the responsibility for protecting endangered species from hunting and natural disaster.
10. To die out : to become extinct
Example: The entire population of Kangaroo is in danger of dying out.
11. Global warming : the increasing temperature of the world brought about by gases such as CO2
Example: We are experiencing various side effects of global warming due to the enhanced greenhouse effect.
12. Greenhouse effect : the gradual warming of the air surrounding the Earth as a result of heating trapped by pollution
Example: The deforestation of forests is contributing to greenhouse effect.
IELTS Speaking Part 1
1. Are there any environmental problems in your country ?
Absolutely yes, the most common environmental issue in my hometown is exhausted emissions produced by cars and motorbikes which have been afflicting the air and water quality. My government is struggling to deal with the problem.
2. Do you take an interest in nature ?
Of course yes! As a city person, I barely have the opportunity to experience a natural environment. So, whenever I have a holiday, I really prefer to go to a far-off destination, so I could get closer to nature and discover the natural world.
3. Do you or your family take steps to help the environment ?
Yes we do. We always turn off lights or electronic appliances when they are unnecessary. Although this is a minor action, but I believe that it could make a significant contribution to the environment.
IELTS Speaking Part 2
|Describe environmental pollution in your city.
You should say:
Since I have been living in Hanoi for almost 8 years, I have had the chance to see how the city has changed over these years. Due to the increasing number of tourists, Hanoi’s environment has been polluted significantly. Indeed, many people traveling there has illegally thrown rubbish into the land and water, which contributes to land and water pollution. In addition to that, industrial and household waste from factories and families is contributing to the high level of pollution.
In order to solve these issues, I would recommend Hanoi’s authority to heavily fine the people who are caught disposing trash irresponsibly. By enforcing this rule, people with intent to litter the environment will be afraid of being punished, which can deter them from discharging unlawful waste. Another solution is that the government should run some campaigns to raise awareness in people about how important it is to save the environment. For example, showing local people and visitors the danger of global warming and greenhouse effect that I believe could change their attitude towards the protection of environment, which is likely to have a good impact on air quality.
Although the two actions above may just seem simple, I think it will be an effective way to mitigate environmental contamination.
IELTS Speaking Part 3:
1. What do you think is the main danger that the world has faced in terms of environment?
It would have to be global warming, which caused some natural disasters such as flash flood and drought. The problem mainly stems from enhanced greenhouse effect in recent years. I believe that several steps should be taken to deal with the issue.
2. What examples are there of how we damage the natural world ?
There are factories that release toxic waste directly into the air and water, which is the main cause of air and water pollution. As a result loss of habitats is increasingly common, many people are diagnosed with health problems such as lung and throat cancer. In addition to that, a large number of land and rain forests are destroyed to make way for agriculture fields.
- IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Speaking preparation tips
- IELTS Vocabulary
- Linking words for IELTS Speaking
- IELTS Speaking recent actual test
- IELTS Vocabulary books
- IELTS Grammar
- IELTS Listening Vocabulary
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Idioms for IELTS Speaking
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS
- IELTS Pronunciation Guide
- Common English words in IELTS Speaking
- Ough words