IELTS WRITING 2 PRACTICE TEST 27
People tend to work longer hours nowadays. Working long hours has a negative effect on themselves, their families and the society, so working hours should be restricted. Do you agree or disagree?
BAND 8.0+ SAMPLE ESSAY
In the modern world, working continuously for long hours have become a topic for controversial discussion, especially at the time when employees’ benefits have been given serious thought. Taking the extension of working hours into serious consideration, I am supportive of the argument that long working hours has a negative influence on employees, the organizations they work for, and ultimately upon the general economy and society as a whole.
To individuals, working for longer hours triggers at least two issues. It is not only to damage personal relationship, particularly with family, disrupt social lives and impede communicate activities but also to cause a feeling of depression, a psychological disturbance that is suffered by many job holders. It also tends to exert pressure on the employment market and make fewer job vacancies. The high proportion of unemployment is expected to cause even higher stress for people in labor force.
To corporates, working incessantly, although promising higher benefits from limited resources every now and then, has destructive effects in the long run. The primary reason is that staff tend to be less productive, and meanwhile, be put at greater risks of sickness. It would lead not only to the lower quality of work outputs but also to higher absenteeism and turnover. Therefore, employers have no choice but to spend much more on recruiting and training new employees. To a country in general, it has chronic impacts which is preventing the optimization of resource use natural resources and human capital.
Some people might argue that it is reasonable for an employer to expect the flexibility during a specific busy period, however to those employers, dependencies on the jobs with extended hours has the tendency to become quite common. Tolerance of this practice would enable employers to exploit labor and omit the benefits that employees are deserved with such as re-scheduling, flexible working assignments and job redesign to explore their full potential.
In the light of the above discussion, there is obviously no reason accounting for why working long hours can be acceptable. In short, this would lead frequent sick leaves and low productivity, thereby doing more harm than good to people and the corporates as well.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!