IELTS Writing 2 Topic: People tend to work longer hours nowadays
People tend to work longer hours nowadays. People say that working long hours has a negative effect on themselves, their families and the society, so working hours should be restricted. Do you agree or disagree?
- Sentence 1: Introduce the given topic
- Sentence 2: Clearly and directly state your point of view with one short and simple sentence
- Paragraph 1: It damages relationships with family, disrupts social lives and impedes communication activities. It also causes a feeling of depression and a psychological disturbance that is suffered by many jobholders.
- Paragraph 2: Not only it leads to the low quality of work but also to higher absenteeism and turnover.
- Restate your opinion with a clear and direct sentence
In the modern world, working continuously for long hours has become a topic for discussion, especially at the time when employees’ benefits have been given a serious thought. Considering the extension of working hours seriously, I am supportive of the argument that long working hours have a negative influence on employees, the organizations they work for, and ultimately upon the general economy and society as a whole. In the forthcoming paragraphs, I will be highlighting my opinion.
For individuals working for longer hours, there are two issues. It not only damages relationships with family, disrupts social lives and impedes communication activities but also causes a feeling of depression, a psychological disturbance that is suffered by many jobholders. It also exerts pressure on the employment market, and in turn, reduces the number of job vacancies.
For corporates, working incessantly, it has destructive effects in the long run. The primary reason is that staff tend to be less productive and are at greater risks of sickness. It would lead not only to the low quality of work but also to higher absenteeism and turnover. Therefore, employers have no choice but to spend much more on recruiting and training new employees. To a country in general, it has chronic impacts, preventing the optimization of resource and human capital.
Although some people might argue that it is reasonable for an employer to expect flexibility during a specific busy period, tolerance of this practice would enable employers to exploit labour and omit the benefits that employees deserve.
In light of the above discussion, working long hours is not acceptable in any manner. In short, this would lead to frequent sick leaves and low productivity, thereby doing more harm than good to people and the corporates as well.
- Psychological disturbance
- In light of
Nowadays many jobs are more stressful and the working day is longer. What are the reasons for this? What can employers do to help employees?
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS writing practice test
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors