IELTS Writing 2 Topic: People tend to work longer hours nowadays
People tend to work longer hours nowadays. People say that working long hours has a negative effect on themselves, their families and the society, so working hours should be restricted. Do you agree or disagree?
- Sentence 1: Introduce the given topic
- Sentence 2: Clearly and directly state your point of view with one short and simple sentence
- Paragraph 1: It damages relationships with family, disrupts social lives and impedes communication activities. It also causes a feeling of depression and a psychological disturbance that is suffered by many jobholders.
- Paragraph 2: Not only it leads to the low quality of work but also to higher absenteeism and turnover.
- Restate your opinion with a clear and direct sentence
In the modern world, working continuously for long hours has become a topic for discussion, especially at the time when employees’ benefits have been given a serious thought. Considering the extension of working hours seriously, I am supportive of the argument that long working hours have a negative influence on employees, the organizations they work for, and ultimately upon the general economy and society as a whole. In the forthcoming paragraphs, I will be highlighting my opinion.
For individuals working for longer hours, there are two issues. It not only damages relationships with family, disrupts social lives and impedes communication activities but also causes a feeling of depression, a psychological disturbance that is suffered by many jobholders. It also exerts pressure on the employment market, and in turn, reduces the number of job vacancies.
For corporates, working incessantly, it has destructive effects in the long run. The primary reason is that staff tend to be less productive and are at greater risks of sickness. It would lead not only to the low quality of work but also to higher absenteeism and turnover. Therefore, employers have no choice but to spend much more on recruiting and training new employees. To a country in general, it has chronic impacts, preventing the optimization of resource and human capital.
Although some people might argue that it is reasonable for an employer to expect flexibility during a specific busy period, tolerance of this practice would enable employers to exploit labour and omit the benefits that employees deserve.
In light of the above discussion, working long hours is not acceptable in any manner. In short, this would lead to frequent sick leaves and low productivity, thereby doing more harm than good to people and the corporates as well.
- Psychological disturbance
- In light of
Band 9 Sample Essay
Signup/login to unlock band 9 essay and ace the IELTS
The grave competition among businesses and people, at large, has been conspicuously intensifying nowadays, and with it, the working timings have been extending exponentially. This has exacerbated the work-life balance of employees today and hence should be tapered off vigilantly. I will be putting forth my standpoint on this issue in the forthcoming paragraphs of this essay.
As the population grows, struggle blooms and hence, the dearth of employment thrives as per which an employee faintly survives. It is incontrovertible that an individual matches up the pace with employment and all-time sky-rocketing survival thresholds. Even for the businesses to flourish and as the struggle to conquest over everyone else sustains, the employees working in the segment are the ones who are marred the most. This trend not only denudes the working professionals off their own personal lives but also germinates the seedling of various disorders resulting from working incessantly. The time that could have been invested in the happy hours of the family is vigorously being taken over by the working regime. This often points towards incoherence among the family members and obliterates the relationship.
Various underlying health anomalies including hypertension, stress, migraine and even cardiac errata have been resurfacing more than ever in the present time. Secondly, to have its employees drudging ceaselessly, companies often have to bear the losses due to the least outcome and yield from them and hence couldn’t harness the most optimum benefit out of them. This indeed is an improvident usage of the human capital and thereby, squandering the labour, perspiration and time put in for the projects. People working like a trojan today inevitably attenuates on their social fronts and hence halt the most important nuance and the subset of health as a whole.
Though to some it might look justified for extending the working hours due to the strife in the business world, it makes the employees’ lives drab and lustreless and hence, in the longer marathon, obstructs the growth of them as well as the companies they are working for.
Conclusively, the inference made is that people work and earn to live and not live to earn, therefore the disproportionate extension of the working schedule is not only a deterrent to the velocities of businesses but also a menace to human diaspora on a whole.
Nowadays many jobs are more stressful and the working day is longer. What are the reasons for this? What can employers do to help employees?
More Writing Task 2 Essay Topics
- A Number Of Different Medical Traditions Are Now Widely Known And Used
- Some People Think That Newly Built Houses Should Follow The Style Of Old Houses In The Local Areas
- Recent Figures Show An Increase In Violent Crime Among Youngsters Under The Age Of 18
- Many People Argue That In Order To Improve Educational Quality
- Should Wealthy Nations Be Required To Share Their Wealth
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS writing practice test
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors