In the future, it seems more difficult to live on Earth – IELTS Writing Task 2 Argumentative Essays
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
In IELTS Writing Task 2, students are asked to write a formal essay of at least 250 words, in 4-5 paragraphs based on the given writing task 2 essay topics. The task is similar for both Academic and General Training with regards to the type of questions and the scoring, but the topics given for General Training will be slightly easier than Academic. Given below is an argumentative essay with sample answers that will help you to practise and get a good score.
Recent IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic:
In the future, it seems more difficult to live on Earth. Some people think more money should be spent on researching other planet to live on, such as Mars. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? OR
In the future it may be necessary for us to live on other planets. For this reason, some people believe that we should spend money now to research other planets, such as Mars. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Band 9.0 Model Essay
It is true, that if present trends continue, it will become increasingly difficult to sustain human life on Earth. While I agree that it is vital to tackle this problem. I believe that expenditure on research for new planets to colonise should be given a low priority, and resources must be used to find other, more practical solutions.
There are two major reasons why life on Earth is becoming more and more unsustainable. One obvious problem is the uncontrolled consumption of natural resources, which are being depleted as a result. For instance, the extraction of fossil fuels, such as coal, gas and oil to satisfy growing energy demands has serious environmental impacts, and these resources will eventually run out. Another concern is the rising level of pollution worldwide, of the land, the oceans and the air that we breathe. In India, for example, thousands of tons of industrial rubbish have been released illegally into rivers, killing aquatic life and contaminating drinking water.
However, I would argue that the search for a new planet on which humans could survive is a waste of valuable resources. Firstly, a vast amount of funding would be required to finance such space exploration, with no guarantee of success. This money is needed now to improve health services globally and to provide better education for all. Secondly, financial resources should be used to develop advanced technologies that would be more environmentally- friendly and provide renew able energy. In the field of transport, to take a simple example, vehicles can now be converted to run on hydrogen or even waste cooking oil – as McDonald’s have done with their trucks.
In conclusion, I consider that the search for new planets on which to settle is a waste of time and resources, and efforts should be concentrated on living more sustainably here on Earth.
Error: Your Requested widget " custom_html-47" is not in the widget list.
- [do_widget_area copy-right-sec]
- [do_widget id="text-2"]
- [do_widget_area counseling-section-button]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-20"]
- [do_widget_area counseling-section-mobile]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-21"]
- [do_widget_area counseling-section-text]
- [do_widget id="text-3"]
- [do_widget_area footer-sidebar-1]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-4"]
- [do_widget_area footer-sidebar-2]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-6"]
- [do_widget_area footer-sidebar-3]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-7"]
- [do_widget_area footer-sidebar-4]
- [do_widget id="nav_menu-8"]
- [do_widget_area sidebar-1]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-13"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-48"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-2"]
- [do_widget id="media_image-3"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-18"]
- [do_widget_area widgets_for_shortcodes]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-66"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-65"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-64"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-63"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-62"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-60"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-56"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-55"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-54"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-53"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-52"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-51"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-50"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-47"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-39"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-38"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-37"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-36"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-35"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-34"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-33"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-32"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-31"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-30"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-59"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-29"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-58"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-57"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-22"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-23"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-24"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-25"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-26"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-28"]
- [do_widget id="custom_html-27"]
- [do_widget_area wp_inactive_widgets]
Band 8.5 Model Essay
Advances in technology make the prospect to find the second Earth potentially viable. While I agree that terrestrial life has become increasingly difficult, I do not believe that we should invest money in finding a new planet to live.
On the one hand, there is no doubt that life is not as easy as it was in the past. The main problem is the growing level of environmental pollution that adversely affects humankind in all parts of the world. The rising consumption of natural resources such as gas, oil and coal has resulted in an enormous amount of carbon emissions being released into the atmosphere, which impairs the air quality and accelerates climate change. The consequences of this are grave. People in many big cities are suffering respiratory diseases; more lands are being shrunk due to the rise of sea levels; and there are frequent heat waves in tropical countries. Apparently, human life is now put in danger.
On the other hand, I would contend that spending money finding another home for all creatures on the Earth is not an effective measure. There is little hope of seeking a planet that has favorable conditions for life while the expenditure can be extremely huge. In contrast, a much better solution would be that we should invest in environmental projects and encourage people to lead a more environmentally friendly lifestyle. For example, green energy should be harnessed and made more available to replace our dependence on fossil fuels, and individuals ought to opt for public transport rather than driving their vehicles. Such actions can cut exhaust emissions and slow down the effects of global warming, making the
earth a more desirable place for us all.
In conclusion, although global warming is a global malady, it seems ludicrous to suggest that people should find another planet to settle down.
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet