IELTS Writing Actual Test – July 2016 & Band 8.0 Sample Cause/Solution Essay topic: children nowadays spend a great deal of time watching television
IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic
Studies have suggested that nowadays children watch much more television than they did in the past and spend less time on active or creative things. What are the reasons and what measures should be taken to encourage children to spend more time on active or creative things?
Nowadays, children watch too much TV. Why is this happening, and what can be done to prevent it?
Band 8.0 Sample Essay
There has been a worrying trend that children watch an excessive amount of television and do not engage much in active or creative activities. This trend can be ascribed to a number of reasons and it must be addressed by definite actions.
Reasons for the trend vary. The primary reason is that children’s television programmes are being broadcast all day with addictive contents, such as vivid and colourful animations. Cartoon Network and Disney Channel with their all-day-long series of animation shows are an evident example of this. Another clear reason is that parents nowadays are busy with their work, so they want children to focus on an activity that does not require much of their attention such as watching television. These two reasons make children spend more time in front of the television screen; this sedentary lifestyle prevents them from participating in active or creative activities.
A number of strong measures must be implemented to tackle the issue. The first solution is limiting the amount of time that a child can watch television. This could be done by activating the parental control mode and setting a fixed operating time limit on their television set. Another feasible solution is that parents must spend more time with their children and together they could engage in outdoor or creative activities. For example, parents could form a family sport team that practices on a regular basis, which may appeal to children more than television.
To conclude, there are obvious reasons why children watch too much television and spend little time on active and creative activities. This negative trend could be tackled by a number of remedies, such as activating the parental control mode on television sets.
- Excessive (a): If you describe the amount or level of something as excessive, you disapprove of it because it is more or higher than is necessary or reasonable.
Example: The government says that local authority spending is excessive.
- Additive (a): Something that is addictive is so enjoyable that it makes you want to do it or have it a lot.
Example: Video movie-making can quickly become addictive.
- Sedentary (a): Someone who has a sedentary lifestyle or job sits down a lot of the time and does not take much exercise.
Example: Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle has been linked with an increased risk of heart disease.
- Activate (v): If a device or process is activated, something causes it to start working.
Example: Video cameras with night vision can be activated by movement.
- Parental (a): Parental is used to describe something that relates to parents in general, or to one or both of the parents of a particular child.
Example: Medical treatment was sometimes given to children without parental consent.
- To appeal to (v): If something appeals to you, you find it attractive or interesting.
Example: On the other hand, the idea appealed to him.
- Remedy (n): A remedy is a successful way of dealing with a problem.
Example: The remedy lies in the hands of the government.
Also check :