IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic:
Some believe buildings should be built in a way that serves their purpose rather than just look beautiful. Others, however, say buildings should represent art too. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
IELTS Band 8.5 Essay
Constructing buildings is a complex process that needs to cater to the primary purpose of the construction as well as the requirement of looking distinguished. While some buildings successfully integrate both, some however are inclined towards only one of the two factors. This essay shall discuss the relevant conditions for constructing a building.
There are a lot of examples in the world regarding buildings that are artistically rich as well as sturdy in their construction. The Florence Cathedral in Italy, the Taj Mahal in India, the palace of Westminster in England are renowned examples of cultural symbols and works of art in the field of architecture, along with being sufficiently equipped to serve the primary cause of their establishment. These buildings are many decades old but are still standing strong and for this reason they are famous worldwide. Therefore we can say that building any structure with both purpose and art is not rare.
On the contrary, the world has also seen many architectural disasters that were caused due to poor planning and construction, even though they were intended to be assembly of artwork. A near-accurate guess can be that the architects put so much emphasis on the appearance of the building that they neglected the other important features that need to be well thought-out as well. The Leaning Tower of Pisa is a stark example of how the foundations of the building weren’t paid adequate attention, resulting that the building couldn’t hold up its own weight. Many such buildings have suffered collapses due to serious miscalculations in the architectural planning. These illustrations make us wonder whether appearance should totally be sidelined for structural stability of any building.
In my view, I feel a building should be a combination of style and stability. The primary purpose of a building and the appearance both should be kept in mind while planning and equal weight age should be given to both.
(318 words, written by IELTS blogger Devanshi Shah)
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!