Task 1: The information below gives details about household income and spending on food and clothes by an average family in one UK city in 2010 and 2013.
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 8th September With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 25th August With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 18th August With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 28th July With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
Paraphrase: gives details about>shows, illustrates; spending>expenditure. Write one sentence for each type of diagram.
Summary/overview paragraph: (1) total family income fell (2) percentage spent on fruits and vegetables rose significantly in 2013.
Paragraph 3: total household income fell; proportion spent on food and clothes rose (see the table).
Paragraph 4: Compare spending on clothes (% falls) with spending on fruits and vegetables/dairy products (% increases).
Paragraph 5: Compare spending on ‘other food and drink’ (stable) and meat and fish (% decreases).
The table shows total family income per household in a UK city in 2010 and 2013, together with specific expenditure on food and clothes. The pie chart illustrates how spending on food and clothes was broken down into 5 categories.
Overall, it is clear that total income fell in 2013, whereas spending on food and clothes increased from the 2010 figure. The proportion spent on fruits and vegetables rose sharply in 2013.
Total household income saw a significant fall, from £29,000 in 2010 to £25,000 in 2013. Despite this overall decline, expenditure on food and clothes rose by £1000, to reach £15,000 by 2013
Taking this expenditure on food and clothes, the proportion spent on clothes decreased from 22% in 2010 to 12% in 2013. In terms of spending on food, there was a notable increase in the figure for fruits and vegetables, from 20% to 35%. The proportion spent on dairy products also rose, reaching 20% in 2013.
In contrast, while the percentage spent on other food and drink remained the same at 18%, the figure for spending on meat and fish fell significantly from 25% in 2010 to 15% in 2013.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!