IELTS Writing Task 1 Process Diagram Questions, Topics and Samples
- 1 Tips for Process Diagram IELTS Questions
- 2 Sample Practice
- 3 FAQs
In IELTS writing task 1, there are two types of processes that include Manufacturing Process (MP) and Natural Process (NP). Passive voice is preferred for MP, and NP uses active voice. You would have to find a starting point and write the process as a series of steps. All in all, you will have to introduce the diagram, given an overview of the main point(s) and provide the details.
Strategies for answering the Process Diagram questions
There are a few strategies that have to be borne in mind while answering these types of questions. They are listed below:
- Study and understand the question first. Go through the instructions and comprehend the task.
- Write a single sentence in the introduction by paraphrasing the question. However, keep in mind that overview is essential as it contributes almost 25% of the score. This overview should have a brief explanation that you can write using the key stages of the process.
- It is nearly impossible to transcribe diagrammatic information into words. Thus, you must organize the data well for a better understanding. Observe the starting and follow every stage to get the correct information.
- The proficiency in extracting the information and presenting the same in words will be judged. To do so effectively, make sure you use correct linking words.
- Including supporting information can increase your discussion’s intensity. Use relevant information as given in the diagram to support the body paragraphs. Don’t be too generic.
- The speech and tense used should influence the impression of readers. Try to use simple present and present perfect tenses. Be careful while using active and passive verbs.
Tips for Process Diagram IELTS Questions
Some tips to answer the questions and obtain a high band in the IELTS examination are given below:
- Analyze the diagram and the process thoroughly
- Follow through the given information
- Understand the key stages and concepts
- Interpret the task in a better and clear way
- Understand the kind of process you will have to write about
- Structure the essay in a way that it matches with the stages and concepts
The diagram below shows how leather goods are produced. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and making comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
|The diagram shows the different stages in the process of converting an animal hide into leather goods.
The first stage is to hang out the hide on a line in the open air to dry. After this, it is transported by lorry to the factory for processing. On arrival, it is submerged in vats of soap and water and washed and then transferred to another vat where it is soaked in lime. Having been cleaned in this way, the hide is then sent to a large rolling machine where it is smoothed and flattened. In the next stage, it is submerged in a liquid called tannin, which is a mixture of vegetable matter and water. Next comes the polishing stage, where small rollers are moved over the surface to produce a shine. The leather is then transported to a different factory where it is manufactured into the leather products we see in the shops, for example, shoes, handbags, and sports equipment.
How much time will I get to complete the writing task 1?
You will get 20 minutes to complete the writing task 1.
What will be judged in the process diagram question?
Your range of vocabulary, grammar, understanding of collocations and the ability to figure out the process correctly will be judged.
How many words should I write to explain the process diagram?
Generally, you will have to write a minimum of 150 words. However, you must check the instructions part to correctly find out the requirement.
Here are the 10 examples for the IELTS Process Diagram:
- Example 1
- Example 2
- Example 3
- Example 4
- Example 5
- Example 6
- Example 7
- Example 8
- Example 9
- Example 10