Useful sentence structures for IELTS Writing Task 1
A rich variety of sentence structures is one of the most important key to get a 7 or higher for your grammar score in IELTS Writing Task 1.
As far as you know, you will most likely be given a graph, chart, diagram or table to write about.
Firstly, you have to choose the most important figures/features to write about and make a comparison among them to meet Task Response requirement in IELTS Writing Task 1.
Below are useful high – level sentence structures which you can utilize to get a higher score for IELTS Writing Task 1.
- While the figure for factories in Japan went up dramatically to 120,000 in 2010, the quantity in Korea plummeted to 12,000 at the same time.
2. Clause, followed by + Noun Phrase
- There was a dramatic growth in the number of factories in Japan to 120.000 in 2010, followed by a sharp decrease to 1,000 in 2015.
3. Clause, prior to/before Verb-ing
- The number of factories in Japan experienced an increase to 120,000 in 2010, before hitting a free fall to 1,000 in 2015.
4. Clause, after Verb – ing
- The figure for factories in Japan hit a free fall to 1,000 in 2o15, after undergoing an increase to 120,000 in 2010.
- In comparison with the number of factories in Japan, which witnessed a dramatic increase to 120,000 in 2010, the quantity in Korea plummeted to 12,000 at this time.
- The quantity of factories in Japan went through a period of dramatic increase to 120,000 in 2010, exceeding the number in Korea, which had only 12,000.
As can be seen, the sentences above all contain numbers which you must include in your Task 1 Writing to get a 7.0
in Task Achievement.
Plus, they all use high-level vocabulary, most assuredly earning an 8 or 9 in that category.
To see more about IELTS Writing Task 1, click here.
To get more latest posts from our blog, please subscribe us or like us on Facebook..
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (May – August) & Sample Answers - October 20, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!