IELTS Band Calculator: Find Your Score in Minutes!
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
- 1 IELTS Band Calculator: How to Calculate Your Overall Band Score?
- 2 IELTS Module Band Score Calculation
- 3 Conclusion
Wondering how your IELTS band score is calculated?
This article will explain how the overall band scores are calculated, as well as provide examples and raw score requirements for each band in the 4 modules.
IELTS Band Calculator: How to Calculate Your Overall Band Score?
The IELTS Band Calculator simplifies the process of calculating the overall band score, helping candidates understand their proficiency level. It provides scores from 1 to 9 for the Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking components, and the overall band score is determined by the average of these four scores.
Use this IELTS band calculator to take charge of your IELTS preparation and strive for success in the exam.
Understanding IELTS Band Score Calculation
Tabulated below shows the IELTS band score and its description.
- Add the four individual band scores together.
- Divide the sum by four.
Overall Band Score Rounding:
- If the average of the four modules ends in less than 0.25, round to the previous whole band.
- If the average ends in more than 0.75, round to the next whole band.
- Average = 6.1, Final Score = 6
- Average = 6.85, Final Score = 7
- Average = 6.25, Final Score = 6.5
- Average = 6.5, Final Score = 7
Check out the sample IELTS scorecard below to understand more about overall IELTS band calculations.
Here, the sum total of the four module band scores is 7.5 + 7 + 8 + 7.5 = 30.
Thus, the average score is 30 ÷ 4 = 7.5.
Not sure what your individual score is in each module? Read on to find out how to calculate the IELTS band score in each module according to the number of questions you have answered correctly.
IELTS Module Band Score Calculation
The IELTS band score for each module is determined by the number of correct answers you have provided. You can use an IELTS band calculator to find out how many correct answers you need to get a certain band score. The IELTS score calculator takes into account the different raw score requirements for different bands in each module.
Here is an example of how to use an IELTS band calculator:
- To find out how many correct answers you need to get an IELTS band score of 7 in the Listening module, you would enter 7 into the band score calculator.
- The IELTS calculator would then tell you that you need to get 36 correct answers to get a band score of 7 in the Listening module.
Let’s explore the raw score requirements for different bands in each of the IELTS modules, one by one.
IELTS Reading Band Score Descriptors
The reading band score determines your score based on the number of correct answers out of the total 40 questions. There is no negative marking or deduction of points for wrong responses.
|Number of correct answers
|Number of correct answers
Note: For an accurate calculation, use the IELTS Score Calculator or Band Calculator, as it will help you determine your academic reading band score effectively.
IELTS Listening Band Score Descriptors
The Listening test includes 40 questions and is assessed using IELTS band scores, ranging from 1 (Non-User) to 9 (Expert User), as depicted in the listening band score chart as presented in the table below.
|Number of correct answers||Band Score|
Note: The IELTS Score Calculator can help you understand your IELTS listening band score better.
IELTS Writing Band Score Descriptors
The Writing module consists of two tasks, and your IELTS writing tasks will be individually evaluated by the examiner based on four criteria:
- Task Response
- Coherence and Cohesion
- Lexical Resource (Vocabulary)
- Grammatical Range & Accuracy
Each criterion will receive an IELTS band score, and the average will be used to determine your final task score. Task 1 and Task 2 will be combined to form your final Writing band score.
Note: If you want to know your IELTS writing band score accurately, use the IELTS Score Calculator.
Ready to Excel in IELTS Writing? Order Your IELTS Writing Book Today!
IELTS Speaking Band Score Descriptors
In the Speaking module, examiners assess your overall performance based on four criteria:
- Lexical range
- Grammatical range
- Fluency and Coherence
Each criterion receives a score from 0 to 9. To determine the Speaking band score, these scores are used to calculate the arithmetic average.
Note: Utilize the IELTS Score Calculator or Band Calculator to accurately calculate your IELTS Speaking band score.
Success in the IELTS depends on your ability to grasp the requirements for attaining your goal score. It is vital for IELTS aspirants to understand what the overall IELTS band score calculator is and how it works.
The IELTS test measures English-language proficiency for students who want to study abroad. Thus, a strong result is crucial and provides many advantages.
Resources to help you score better in IELTS Writing
- Advanced Prepositions To Score Band 7.0+ In IELTS Writing
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 3rd February 2018 With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- How To Get A Band 8.0 In IELTS Writing Task 2 – Tips, Strategies, And Band 9.0 Sample
Resources to help you score better in IELTS Speaking
- 25 Useful Idioms To Help You Score Band 8.0+ For IELTS Speaking (Part 4/5)
- Two-Word Prepositions To Score Band 7.0+ In IELTS Writing & Speaking (Part 3)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic & Questions: Friends & Band 8.0+ Sample
- IELTS Speaking Test In Jan 2019 & Band 9 Model Answers
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 With Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage
Frequently Asked Questions
How to calculate the band in IELTS?
What is 27 out of 40 in IELTS listening?
How is the overall band score rounded based on the average?
What are the raw score requirements for each band in the Listening module?
What band is 24 out of 40 in IELTS?