IELTS Reading Multiple Choice Example 6
Sample Reading Passage:
|An educated population and improved infrastructure of roads and communications add to the mix. In the Caribbean region, Cuba is now the second most popular tourist destination. Ecotourism is also seen as an environmental education opportunity to heighten both visitors’ and residents’ awareness of environmental and conservation issues, and even to inspire conservation action by providing opportunities for educational and cultural exchange. Tourists’ safety and health are guaranteed. Raul Castro, brother of the Cuban president, started this initiative to rescue the Cuban tradition of herbal medicine and provide natural medicines for its healthcare system. The school at Las Terrazas Eco-Tourism Community teaches herbal healthcare and children learn not only how to use medicinal herbs, but also to grow them in the school garden for teas, tinctures, ointments, and creams. In Cuba, ecotourism has the potential to alleviate poverty by bringing money into the economy and creating jobs. In addition to the environmental impacts of these efforts, the area works on developing community employment opportunities for locals in conjunction with ecotourism.|
Choose answers from letters A-D next to question 1-5.
1. Which island has become the second most popular tourist destination? And Why?
- Bora Bora, for its soft white sand beaches, crystal clear waters, sapphire blue skies, and seclusion.
- Cuba, for its good climate, beaches, Georgian style architecture, and distinct cultural history.
- Maui, for its world-famous beaches, the sacred Iao Valley, views of migrating humpback whales (during winter months), farm-to-table cuisine, and the magnificent sunrise and sunset.
- Tahiti, for its Calm blue lagoons, white-sand beaches, friendly people, swaying coconut trees, and black pearl farms.
2. What was the name of the Cuban presidents’ brother, who started the initiative of herbal medicine in Cuba?
- Gaston Browne
- Hubert Minnis
- Johnny Briceno
- Raul Castro
3. What does ecotourism bring to a place?
- It provides educational and cultural exchange opportunities.
- It enhances ecological sensitivity.
- A and B
- None of the above
4. What do the students learn in the school at Las Terrazas Ecotourism community?
- Herbal healthcare
- Ayurvedic Healthcare
5. Why is ecotourism important in Cuba?
- It is one of the main sources of revenue in Cuba.
- It has the potential to alleviate poverty by creating more jobs
- Both A & B
- None of the above
|1.Cuba, for its good climatic conditions, beaches, Georgian-style architecture, and distinct cultural history.
2. Raul Castro.
3. All of the above.
4. Herbal Healthcare.
5. Both A & B.
Explanation of the answers:
|For the first question, the answer is given on the second line: Cuba has become the second most popular tourist destination in the Caribbean region. So, the answer is “B. Cuba, for its good climatic conditions, beaches, Georgian style architecture and distinct cultural history.” The sentence has been paraphrased and Good Climate means favourable weather conditions, and the Georgian style architecture refers to colonial architecture.
For the second question, the answer is mentioned on the seventh line, which states that Raul Castro, the Cuban president’s brother, started the initiative to rescue herbal medicine’s Cuban tradition. So, the answer is ” D. Raul Castro.”
For the third question, the answer is” C. A and B.” Ecotourism provides education and cultural exchange opportunities; it enhances ecological and cultural sensitivity. Option B has been paraphrased and “heighten both visitors’ and residents’ awareness of environmental and conservation issues,” means “increases ecological sensitivity.”
For the fourth question, the answer is given on the ninth line, which says that herbal health care is being taught in the schools at Las Terrazas Ecotourism community. So, the answer is “B. Herbal Healthcare.”
For the fifth question, the answer is “C. Both A & B. Because Ecotourism in Cuba has the potential to alleviate poverty and make money and ecotourism is the main source of income on the island.
Post your Comments