In IELTS speaking test, if you want to impress the examiner with your ability to speak English naturally, using idioms is not a bad idea. Today, I am going to share with you these useful idioms and expressions about common topics of happiness and anger to help you achieve a high score in the IELTS speaking test.
Idioms And Expression About Happiness:
On cloud nine: extremely happy and satisfy.
- When I got my result of the exam, I was on cloud nine and can’t wait to tell my parent about this.
Like a dog with two tails: have the same meaning of on cloud nine, extremely happy
- When Paul won the competition, he was like a dog with two tails.
Full of the joys of spring: very happy, excited, and full of energy.
- Amanda was full of the joys of spring ! Did she receive a good new ?
Grin from ear to ear: If somebody grins from ear to ear, they seem like very satisfied and happy.
- When we saw Jack grinning from ear to ear, we knew he had passed the exam.
Jump for joy: express their happiness and satisfaction through excited movements and gestures.
- The player jumped for joy when he scored the winning goal.
Also check :
Idiom and expression about Anger
To be steamed up: feel annoyed.
- When I failed to get this job, my father was very steamed up about it.
To get hot under the collar: feel irritated.
- Because I told him that I couldn’t bring him to amusement centre, he got a bit hot under the collar this morning.
To be hopping mad: Feel furious
- Jack is hopping mad because his son has borrowed his car for the weekend without first asking his permission.
To fly off the handle: Suddenly lose one’s temper.
- I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have flown off the handle like that. Please forgive me.
To throw a wobbler: Become suddenly angry with someone .
- When he realised that Jane had been stealing his money, he threw a wobbler and wouldn’t stop finding her.
I hope you found this post informative. If you have any question, please let me know in the comment below or on the Facebook page.
And do not forget to come back to see the next part of this post. Hope all of you have a great day!