You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 23 – Bar Graph
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 22 – Bar Chart
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 21 – Pie Chart
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 18 – Pie Chart
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 17 – Bar Graph
The table below gives statistics about the size of US households over a number of years. (Household = all the people living together in one house.) Study the information and answer the question.
Write a short report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below.
Write at least 150 words.
US household by size 1790-1990
|Year||Per cent distribution of number of households||Average population per household|
|1 person||2 person||3 person||4 person||5 person||6 person||7 person|
We can see from the table that households in the US have become much smaller over the last 200 years. Households in 1790 had an average of 5.4 members but by 1990 the figure had fallen by about half to only 2.6.
In 1790 35.8% of all households had seven members. This was still the most common household size in 1890 but the proportion had dropped slightly to 23%. One-person households were the least common, representing less than 4% of the total in both 1790 and 1890. By 1990, however, there had been a major change. Now only about 1% of household had seven members, while 56.8% of all households consisted of only one or two people.
( Free IELTS Practice Tests – Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking Test|
IELTS Exam Preparation – Free IELTS material and resources.
Download IELTS Preparation Material & Tips)
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep – Dec 2019) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!