The pie charts below show the percentage of housing owned and rented in the UK in 1991 and 2007. Summarize the information by describing the main features of the charts and making comparisons where appropriate.
Write at least 150 words
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 20 – Graph
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 36 – Pie Chart
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 28 – Pie Graph
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 24 – Graph
- Sample Essay for Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic 23 – Bar Graph
Housing owned and rented in the UK
The pie charts compare home ownership and renting for 1991 and 2007 in percentage terms. In 1991, home owner were the most popular type of housing, accounting for 60%, or more than over half of all homes. The next largest sector was social rented homes, amounting to 23% or nearly one-third of homes. The remaining homes were mostly privately rented (11%) with a tiny fraction being social housing (6%).
Sixteen years later, in 2007, the number of home owners had risen to 70%, or almost three quarters of all homes. This was an increase of 10% compared with 1991. Much of the increase in home ownership can be explained by the decrease in social rented homes, which had dropped from 23% to 17%.
The percentage of privately rented homes had remained unchanged at 11%. However, there were 5 million more homes in 2007 compared with 1991 so the number of rented homes had increased despite the same percentage. Social housing has decreased three-fold from 6% in 1991 to 2% in 2007, and it remains the least popular type of housing.
THIS TEST IS COLLECTED & IMPLEMENTED BY IELTSMATERIAL.COM
( Free IELTS Practice Tests – Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking Test|
IELTS Exam Preparation – Free IELTS material and resources.
Download IELTS Preparation Material & Tips)
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!