Practice daily to improve IELTS score with Advanced Vocabulary and IELTS Vocabulary Practice Exercise for IELTS Academic & IELTS General Training Test takers. This lesson includes 9 Parts. In case you miss Part 1, please click here.
(B) Choose the correct verb from the box below to complete each sentence and change the tense as required.
|subjugate vindicate reverberate replenish
strive proliferate salvage reproach
prevail shun revere scatter
squander shatter quench quash
- The conviction was____________ and the judge ordered the immediate release of the prisoner.
- The miniscule amount of rain water I had managed to collect in the carton overnight did little to ____________ my thirst.
- The soldiers were finally able to ____________ their supplies after eight days having been cut off from civilisation by the huge storm and accompanying deluge.
- His father ____________ him for not having properly prepared for his final exams.
- The neighbourhood ____________ with the sound of gunfire as the protest march descended into violence.
- He is ____________ by his countrymen as the father of the nation; it was his determination, inspiration, courage and tactical prowess that propelled his people to victory over the occupying forces in the most emphatic of manners – there would be no going back to the days of empire.
- They ____________ what they could from the wreck as quickly as possible before high tide returned to swallow it up again.
- Limbs and other body parts were ____________ across the scene of the wreckage; it was utter and complete devastation.
- His seemingly impenetrable self-confidence was finally ____________ when his arch rival, the man who had had to be content with coming second to him for all of nearly ten years, sprinted effortlessly towards the finish line leaving him in his wake; the champion had been dethroned at last.
- After the story was leaked to the press, he was ____________ by his former friends and colleagues in the party; a man who had once been hotly tipped as a potential leader of the Conservatives was now well and truly staring into the political abyss.
- I have no sympathy for him whatsoever; he has____________ millions of pounds foolishly for his own indulgence; an idiot and his money are very soon parted.
- After an epic three-day battle the Greeks____________ at last and the Prussian empire was defeated.
- Small-to-medium-sized businesses have____________ over the last few years, thanks, in part, to a new government initiative offering very generous grants and tax incentives to would-be entrepreneurs.
- He felt ____________ when his much maligned theory was endorsed by the experts at Loterdale Laboratory as a result of the cumulative findings of fifteen years’ research in what was, at the time, the most comprehensive study that had ever been conducted in the field.
- We must____________ always to seek betterment, both the mental and physical kind, for growth and the quest to achieve same define what it is to be human.
- The rebel armies____________ vast swathes of government-controlled land and it soon became clear that the Empire had no future.
1 quashed 2. quench 3. replenish 4. reproached
5 reverberated 6. revered 7. salvaged 8. scattered
9 shattered 10. shunned 11. squandered 12. prevailed
13 proliferated 14. vindicated 15. strive 16. subjugated
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (May – August) & Sample Answers - October 20, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!