Describe a book you have recently read – IELTS Band 8 Sample
Describe a book you read
You should say:
- who wrote this book
- what it is about
- when you read it
- and explain why you liked it.
On a Saturday evening, I was lying down with this book called “ Tell me your dreams” by Sidney Sheldon. Thanks to the maid, who served hot tea.
The book had an irresistible start. Initially, it describes three women, their love life and the mysterious ways in which their lovers are killed. After some time, the plot becomes gripping. It is revealed that they are three personalities of the same woman, Ashley, who suffered from multiple personality disorder and had murdered the men mercilessly.
Later, it is revealed that Ashley had a traumatic childhood which caused her to create these identities. Ashley is represented by a lawyer friend of her father. The court finally accepts that it was Ashley’s condition that made her kill and orders psychiatric treatment. She gets treated in the hospital and regains sanity.
The book has revealed an episode in the life of a psychiatrically affected person. It gave me an insight into the lives of women experiencing wounding disturbances in their childhood. Infact, when I come across news about murders, especially when the charges are against a lady, I suspect whether the woman is really guilty. The book cast such an effect on me.
- Grant: agree to give or allow (something requested) to.
Eg: He was granted permission to take leave
- Curious: interested in learning about people or things around you
Eg: Rose was curious about her results.
- Impulsively: without forethought; on impulse; suddenly.
Eg: Rose impulsively decided to buy the diamond necklace.
- Found out: discover something or come to know about something.
Eg: The treasure box hidden in the backyard was found out .
- Novelty: the quality of being new, original, or unusual
Eg: The tourists are still a novelty on this remote island
- In hindsight: the ability to understand an event or situation only after it has happened
Eg: In hindsight, I should have taken the job offer.
Also check :