IELTS Writing Task 2 Argumentative Essay Topic: Secondary schools aim to provide a general education across a range of subjects
In some countries, secondary schools aim to provide a general education across a range of subjects. In others, children focus on a narrow range of subjects related to a particular career. Which of these two systems is more appropriate in today’s world?
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
- Paraphrase the topic of the essay.
- Mention clearly what the topic of the essay involves.
- Paragraph 1 – First of all, fewer choices of subjects to study at school will create a window of opportunity for students to blossom socially. To further explain this, students will not constantly find themselves in a battle against time trying to complete their homework, prepare for new lessons, or review for upcoming exams.
- Paragraph 2 – It has been found that secondary students nowadays are feeling more stressed and overwhelmed than ever before, and the reason to explain this is quite self-explanatory. Today, many children consider their schools’ prisons and their teachers’ correctional officers who would not stop giving them dull assignments to complete.
- Conclude the essay by summarizing the topic and the final view.
Although most children today enjoy the right to receive education, it is not within their power to decide what subjects they may study. Regarding this matter, educational theorists still find themselves at loggerheads over whether secondary schools should impart knowledge of various fields, or concentrate on teaching only a few selected subjects relating to a certain sphere of education. From my perspective, I reckon that secondary educational content should be narrowed down for students.
First of all, fewer choices of subjects to study at school will create a window of opportunity for students to blossom socially. To further explain this, students will not constantly find themselves in a battle against time trying to complete their homework, prepare for new lessons, or review for upcoming exams. Instead, they will have more spare time to spend outdoors, be with their friends, or just be with themselves. In this way, their self-confidence or communication skills will be boosted significantly.
It has been found that secondary students nowadays are feeling more stressed and overwhelmed than ever before, and the reason to explain this is quite self-explanatory. Today, many children consider their schools prisons and their teachers correctional officers who would not stop giving them dull assignments to complete. When the inspiration to study is almost non-existent, it is understandably difficult for students to keep a good performance at school. Consequently, the quality of education, on the whole, will go downhill.
To conclude, I hold the firm belief that the schools should focus on a small choice of practical subjects so that the lives of secondary students should not be fettered down by any undue responsibility.
- It is not within their power to decide: They cannot decide
- To be at loggerheads: strongly disagree
- Sphere of education: aspect of education
- Create a window of opportunities: provide a lot of opportunities
- To blossom socially: to socialise more with more people
- Dull assignments: works that make no sense.
- Overwhelmed (adj.) under pressure
- To go downhill: to reduce in quality.
- Fetter down (v.) to keep somebody within limits.
Band 9 Sample Essay
Signup/login to unlock band 9 essay and ace the IELTS
The education system and the structure of the daily curriculum taught in schools differ vastly from region to region. It has been observed that secondary education is dominated by two major approaches, wherein a broad variety of subjects are taught in the course of study by several institutes, in others a more specialized range of disciplines is followed. In my opinion, a more particularized mode of study is more practical than a general one and I will elaborate on my views in the following paragraphs.
First and foremost, when the spectrum of subjects is narrowed down, the effort and time that needs to be invested also reduce, giving the students more room to breathe. At the same time, more focus and attention can be committed to learning as the degree of pressure is comparatively lower. Secondly, this framework facilitates a deeper understanding of a subject matter as opposed to gaining surface-level knowledge on several areas.
Furthermore, subjecting young individuals to the concepts of a specific field can help them have a better understanding of their preferences. Subsequently, the experience of choosing the stream of study for secondary school will instil a sense of responsibility in schoolchildren early on in life. Therefore, when faced with the dilemma of deciding on a career path further down the line, these experiences will prove to be immensely beneficial.
However, the need for a certain skill or knowledge on a distinct topic can arise out of thin air. In such cases, having a grasp of an array of subjects can be advantageous. That being said, such circumstances arrive rarely and such faculties can be obtained at any point in a person’s life.
Finally, I would like to conclude by saying that the method of schooling being followed is an outcome of the previously followed conventions to a great extent. Nevertheless, keeping the needs of the present generation in mind, pursuing an education for a particular career trajectory is the sensible approach.
Bonus Task 2 essay topics:
- In some countries, at secondary at high school, there may be two or three streams of studies, academic or vocational. What are the advantages of this to the students and the society of putting students at the two streams at the age of 15?
- Some people say that education system is the only critical factor to the development of a country. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
More Writing Task 2 Essay Topics
- Some People Prefer To Directly Help Or Support People Who Need It In The Local Community
- Modern Technology Now Allows Rapid Uncontrolled Access
- Prevention Is Better Than Cure Out Of A Country Health Budget A Large Proportion
- A Person’s Worth Nowadays Seems To Be Judged According To Social Status And Material Possessions
- People Should Follow The Customs And Traditions When People Start To Live In A New Country
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- IELTS Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors