IELTS Writing Task 2 Argumentative Essay Topic: Secondary schools aim to provide a general education across a range of subjects
In some countries, secondary schools aim to provide a general education across a range of subjects. In others, children focus on a narrow range of subjects related to a particular career. Which of these two systems is more appropriate in today’s world?
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
Band 8.0 Model Essay
Although most children today enjoy the right to receive education, it is not within their power to decide what subjects they may study. Regarding this matter, educational theorists still find themselves at loggerheads over whether secondary schools should impart knowledge of various fields, or concentrate on teaching only a few selected subjects relating to a certain sphere of education. From my perspective, I reckon that secondary educational content should be narrowed down for students.
First of all, fewer choices of subjects to study at school will create a window of opportunity for students to blossom socially. To further explain this, students will not constantly find themselves in a battle against time trying to complete their homework, prepare for new lessons, or review for upcoming exams. Instead, they will have more spare time to spend outdoors, be with their friends, or just be with themselves. In this way, their self-confidence or communication skills will be boosted significantly.
It has been found that secondary students nowadays are feeling more stressed and overwhelmed than ever before, and the reason to explain this is quite self-explanatory. Today, many children consider their schools prisons and their teachers correctional officers who would not stop giving them dull assignments to complete. When the inspiration to study is almost non-existent, it is understandably difficult for students to keep a good performance at school. Consequently, the quality of education, on the whole, will go downhill.
To conclude, I hold the firm belief that the schools should focus on a small choice of practical subjects so that the lives of secondary students should not be fettered down by any undue responsibility.
Useful Expressions :
- It is not within their power to decide: They cannot decide
- To be at loggerheads: strongly disagree
- Sphere of education: aspect of education
- Create a window of opportunities: provide a lot of opportunities
- To blossom socially: to socialise more with more people
- Dull assignments: works that make no sense.
- Overwhelmed (adj.) under pressure
- To go downhill: to reduce in quality.
- Fetter down (v.) to keep somebody within limits.
Bonus Task 2 essay topics:
- In some countries, at secondary at high school, there may be two or three streams of studies, academic or vocational. What are the advantages of this to the students and the society of putting students at the two streams at the age of 15?
- Some people say that education system is the only critical factor to the development of a country. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- IELTS Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors