IELTS Writing Task 2 Discursive Essay Topic: Support people who need it in the local community
Some people prefer to directly help or support people who need it in the local community, however, others prefer to give money to national or international charities. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
- Paraphrase the topic sentence.
- Clearly state the contents of the essay.
- Paragraph 1 – There are clear justifications for why some funders would rather help the poor by themselves. First of all, help is given instantly as there is no paperwork, no collection, no delivery involved.
- Paragraph 2 – The idea of giving cash directly to the poor is also treated with skepticism by many people who otherwise suggest that money or any other type of donation should be given to charity organisations. Their main argument is that for the people whose lives have always been devoid of material possessions or money, knowing how to manage the financial aids is out of the question.
- Conclude the essay by summarizing the topic and mention the final view in the end.
Today poverty is still on full display anywhere in the world, even from the sparkling and vibrant streets of Los Angeles or to the less glamorous district of Mumbai city. In the fight against poverty, help is at hand. However, a bone of contention remains whether people should directly support the underprivileged or donate to charities. This essay will look at this issue from both perspectives.
There are clear justifications for why some funders would rather help the poor by themselves. First of all, help is given instantly as there is no paperwork, no collection, no delivery involved. It would also mean that no money is lost into the pockets of corrupt government officials. Second of all, it has been found that a considerable number of recipients of aid programs spend money on children’s education or healthcare, rather than alcohol or cigarettes. Therefore, development can be easily promoted.
However, the idea of giving cash directly to the poor is also treated with skepticism by many people who otherwise suggest that money or any other type of donation should be given to charity organisations. Their main argument is that for the people whose lives have always been devoid of material possessions or money, knowing how to manage the financial aids is out of the question. There are many cases where poor people use the money to start businesses; however, bankruptcy is imminent due to their lack of knowledge regarding financial management. For this reason, charities, which can distribute the funds more effectively, prove their prominent roles in improving the living standards of the impoverished.
To conclude, I am inclined to think that giving money to charities is a better way to end poverty as it deals with deeper causes of the issue in the long run.
- Poverty is still on full display: Poverty happens everywhere.
- The sparkling and vibrant streets of Los Angeles: dynamic Los Angeles
- A bone of contention: something that causes dispute.
- To be treated with skepticism: to be viewed with suspect.
- To be devoid of material possessions: have little material belongings.
- Recipient (n.) the person who receives.
- Their lack of knowledge regarding financial management: they do not have enough knowledge about managing their money.
- Bankruptcy is imminent: is highly probable
- In the long run: in the long term.
Band 9 Sample Essay
Signup/login to unlock band 9 essay and ace the IELTS
The soaring levels of poverty around the globe are a matter of grave concern. The pitiful circumstances that the underprivileged have to endure, are distressing, to say the least. However, in the recent past, welfare ventures and campaigns have seen a notable rise in third world countries. That being said, the debate on the efficacy of charitable organizations and whether providing aid to the destitute personally is more sensible or not has been a subject of discussion. In my opinion, philanthropic endeavours are more impactful when personal attention is present. In the following paragraphs, I will elaborate on both sides of the discussion and justify my views on the same.
To begin with, the prime advantage of aiding the poor on your own accord is the degree of autonomy and control that an individual has when undertaking such actions. For instance, during the festive season in India, the practice of the distribution of clothing among the needy is a typical practice and several households are known to follow such customs making sure to help as many as possible. Similarly, a wealthy individual can pursue such activities in their locality and directly see to the upliftment of the entire community.
However, the inherent limitation of such an approach is that the people, especially well-to-do individuals are often preoccupied with their affairs and in many cases unbothered by the plight of the impoverished. On that account, the efforts of NGOs and humanitarian establishments are far more effective as the sole purpose of their existence is to assist the needful. Thus, patronage and donations to such corporations can be seen as worthwhile contributions to tackle poverty.
In conclusion, I would like to mention that supporting the poverty-stricken is a responsibility everyone should take on to the best of their capabilities regardless of the approach. Nonetheless, I firmly believe in the notion that charity begins at home and should be a personal enterprise.
More Writing Task 2 Essay Topics
- Modern Technology Now Allows Rapid Uncontrolled Access
- Prevention Is Better Than Cure Out Of A Country Health Budget A Large Proportion
- A Person’s Worth Nowadays Seems To Be Judged According To Social Status And Material Possessions
- People Should Follow The Customs And Traditions When People Start To Live In A New Country
- Some People Believe That Excessive Use Of Modern Technologies
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Essay Topics
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- IELTS Direct question essay
- IELTS Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors