READING PASSAGE 1
- Answer: vi, The answer is in paragraph 3. The answer is not v, because there is no mention of when the HMI was created.
- Answer: The answer is in the fourth paragraph, Note that vii is not possible, because the passage says the report was seminal, i.e. important/influential.
- Answer: The answer is In paragraph 4.
- Answer: endangering their Job. The answer Is In the first paragraph. The sentence is a paraphrase of the first sentence of the text.
- Answer: [mainly] liberal. The answer is at the beginning of the last sentence of the first paragraph.
- Answer: widen/widening participation. The answer is In the second paragraph. Note that the gerund can be changed to the infinitive.
- Answer: academic staff’s explanation*. The answer is in the second sentence of the third paragraph.
- Answer: reduction of taxes/tax reduction. The answer is in the first sentence of the fourth paragraph, The verb phrase in the passage needs to be changed Into a noun phrase to fit the sentence given.
- Answer: The answer is in the fourth paragraph. A is incorrect, as this was not what the report did. B is not right, as the report did not give the money, and D is incomplete.
- Answer: C. The answer Is In paragraph 4, A is not right, because the money is not given to the student (it Is given to the college for the student). B is Incorrect, because it was the further education that became quasi-independent, not the principles, and D is not possible, as the text docs not say this.
- Answer: A. The answer can be found in the first sentence of the fifth paragraph. The phrase to reduce the student drop-out rate is a paraphrase of to improve retention. It is Important to look out for ways In which sections of the text arc paraphrased In the various types of questions. B, C and D are incorrect, because all three contain phrases lifted from the text, but used here in the wrong context.
- Answer: A. The answer can be found in the second sentence of the fifth paragraph. Note that the sentence gives three complexities, which hinder the reducing of dropout rates. B is not mentioned in the text, nor Is C. The first element of D Is correct, but the second one is nonsensical,
- Answer: D. The answer is in the second half of the fifth paragraph. The last sentence gives the answer, i.e. something other than data. A and B arc not stated, and C Is incomplete.
- Answer: B. The answer is In the final paragraph, and is a summary of the examples given. A is a phrase lifted from the text and Is part of two ideas – note the comma in the text. C is incorrect, because the passage refers to raising the students’ expectations, not those of the college. D is not correct, because Martinez outlined the strategies, so Martinez’s summary included the strategies, and not the other way round.
THIS TEST IS COLLECTED & IMPLEMENTED BY IELTSMATERIAL.COM
( Free IELTS Practice Tests – Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking Test|
IELTS Exam Preparation – Free IELTS material and resources.
Download IELTS Preparation Material & Tips)
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!