A vast majority of people think that the IELTS Test just need something that is academic and the “basic English grammar” is just needed by the daily communication. That is a popular misconception of many IELTS learners.
These common grammars and sentence structures below are not only common in English but also the “useful tool” to help you improve every module in the IELTS Test. Let’s find out what they are !!!
- Subject + Verb/(to be) + too + adjective/adverb + (for someone) + to do something: more than is acceptable or possible for someone to do something.
Example: The IELTS Writing Task 2 topic is too easy for me to get band 7 score.
She plays too well for me to beat her.
- Subject 1 + Verb/(to be) + so + adjective/adverb + that + Subject 2 + Verb: more than is acceptable or possible for someone and they cannot afford it or they have to do something else to get it.
Example: This house is so expensive that I have to sell my car to buy it.
The Math test is so difficult that I cannot do anything.
- It + (to be) + such + (a/an) +Noun(s) + that + Subject + Verb: (have same meaning with the second )
Example: It is such an interesting show that I cannot shut it down.
It is such a heavy box that I cannot lift it up.
- Subject + Verb + adjective/adverb + enough + (for someone) + to do somehting: have the degree that is necessary or wanted.
Example: He is tall enough to apply for this job.
She studies hard enough to pass the exam.
- Have/get + something + Verb past participle: ask or employ someone to do something for you.
Example: I have my fridge repairded
She had her hair cut yesterday
- It + be + time + Subject + Verb past tense ( It’s + time + for someone + to do something ): Time when you have to do something
Example: It is time you went to bed.
It’s time for me to leave.
- It + takes/took+ someone + amount of time + to do something: spead how much time to do something
Example: It takes me two hours to finish my report.
It took my mother 20 minutes to do a lunch for my family.
- To prevent/stop + someone/something + From + Verb -ing: Stop someone doing something
Example: I can’t prevent him from eating so much fat
I can’t stop her from smooking
Subject + find+ it+ adj to do something:
Example: She finds it very healthy to do exercise every early morning.
They found it difficult to led a conclusion.
To prefer + Noun/ Verb-ing + to + Noun/ Verb-ing.
Example: I prefer watching movie at cinema to watching at home.
He prefers cofee to soda.
Would rather + Verb (infinitive) + than + Verb (infinitive)
Example: Jack would rather cook by himself than go to restaurant.
He’d rather learn Math than learn English.
To be/get Used to + V-ing: make youself or another person accustom to a situation or place
Example: She is used to waking up early every Sunday.
I get used to exercising every day.
Used to + V (infinitive) : Did something in the past but now you don’t
Example: I used to go to library when I was highschool student.
He used to drink beer a lot when he was in Germany.
to be amazed at = to be surprised at + Noun/V-ing
Example: We were greatly surprised at the news
You’d be amazed how much money you can save.
to be angry at + Noun/Verb-ing
Example: My father was angry at this story
I was angry at receiving this report.
Hope this post could help you increase your writing also speaking skills in the IELTS Test. Don’t forget to check out our website (ieltsmaterial.com) to find more tips about the IELTS Test.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by Huy Quoc (see all)
- English Collocations in Use – Intermediate (Ebook) - May 26, 2017
- Fall From Grace – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 7, 2017
- Stir Up A Hornet’s Nest – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 5, 2017