The diagram shows the relationship between a numbers of different languages. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic : different methods of waste disposal in four cities – Bar Chart
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic : numbers of male and female research students studying six computer science subjects at a US university – Bar Graph
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic : Paris Metro station passengers – Line Graph
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic : global population percentages and distribution of wealth by region – Bar Chart
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 Topic : proportion of different categories of families living in poverty in UK – Pie Chart
The diagram shows the varieties of English spoken throughout the world and how they are related.
Also check: IELTS Writing Task 1
There are two main branches of English: British English and American English. The British English Branch is geographically wide-spread. It extends across several continents from the West Indies, through the British Isles themselves, Africa, the Indian subcontinent, the Far East and Australasia. In addition to the four varieties of English spoken in the British Isles (i.e. in Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England), it includes a large number of other varieties, for instance Jamaican English, South Africa English, and Australian English.
The American branch is largely restricted to the American continent. It comprises the varieties of English spoken in the different region of the United States itself, as well as in Canada. Beyond the continent, the extent of its influence is limited to the Philippines in the Far East and American Samoa in the Pacific.
In brief, the diagram shows that, like the economic and political influence of the Anglo Saxon countries, the reach of English has extended to virtually every region of the world.