Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS 7.0 – 8.0 – 9.0: Practice Exercises & Answer Key (Part 4)
Practice daily to improve IELTS score with Advanced Vocabulary and IELTS Vocabulary Practice Exercise for IELTS Academic & IELTS General Training test takers. This lesson includes 9 Parts. You can also check out Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 in the previous posts.
(E) Choose the correct verb from the box below to answer each question. Change the form or tense if required.
|enthrall alleviate enchant annex extol ingratiate
stifle elucidate revere concoct perch postulate
curtail vilify instigate malign pillage pervade
exacerbate disparage grumble chastise lament endeavour
- This new measure will prove counterproductive and only serve to ___________ growth, ensuring that it takes us longer than necessary to climb our way out of this recession.
- He has been ___________ in the press and cast as some sort of devil figure. Perhaps some perspective is needed; after all, his only crime was to criticise the royal family.
- William Butler Yeats is one of Ireland’s most ___________ poets of the 20th century.
- I ___________ that the reason why e-cigarettes have been banned in some countries is down more to the strength of the cigarette manufacturers’ lobby than it is any underlying health concerns. Research has shown them to be 99% safer than ordinary cigarettes after all.
- Priceless works of art ___________ during the war are now being returned their rightful owners.
- The jaguar stood motionless, ___________ high above the oblivious boar on a rock, ready to pounce at just the right moment to catch its unwitting victim completely unawares.
- Despite efforts to clean up the streets and lock up the gang leaders, gang rule still ___________ in many parts of New Mexico, and the ordinary people continue to live in fear.
- I will ___________ now to explain my proposal to you and I truly hope you will be as enthused by it as my staff and I are.
- You will only ___________ the situation by attempting to make contact with your brother again; he has been severely hurt by your actions and your relationship may well be beyond repair.
- He ___________ the virtues of simplicity, but he failed to win very many in the audience over to his vision of life in the 21 st century.
- He made several ___________ remarks about his ex-wife in public and she is now threatening to sue him for defamation of character.
- It is hoped that the shipment of food and supplies will ___________ the humanitarian crisis in famine- struck Uganda.
- He had to ___________ his holiday and take the next flight home from New York to rush to the bedside of his terminally ill mother. He arrived just in time to say his last goodbyes.
- I was ___________ by the pristine beauty of this magical forest from the moment I laid eyes upon it; it truly was a sight to behold.
- If you constantly ___________ about life and tell everyone your sob story, you will quickly find yourself isolated and without friends; no one likes to be depressed and we all have our own problems to deal with. Perhaps you need an injection of positivity in your life; it could be just the medicine you need to help you turn things around.
- The violence was ___________ by a small hardcore element that had infiltrated the otherwise peaceful group of demonstrators.
- He ___________ his decision to take the shot when he realised his teammate had been unmarked in the box, but it was by then too late and all he could do was watch on as the ball sailed high over the cross bar.
- When Germany ___________ Austria before World War Two, its forces met with little resistance as they marched towards the capital. In fact, they were, by and large, welcomed with open arms.
- He ___________ an alibi so convincing that the jury found in his favour and he was released from custody a free man.
- His political pedigree has been ___________ by members of the press, with whom he is terribly unpopular.
- Stop trying to ___________ yourself with the boss all the time; the rest of the team will turn against you and will be left feeling very alone and isolated.
- The government has been ___________ in the press for cutting social welfare payments in the latest budget. As one commentator put it, ‘Why on earth should the poorest of the poor be made to suffer even more? Isn’t it about time we targeted high-income earners for more tax.’
- The reasons why it is necessary to change our ways to help fight global warming have been ___________ by scientists many times, but the message still isn’t getting across to Joe Bloggs on the ground.
- I was ___________ by the story and must admit I found it one of the most captivating films I have viewed in many a year.
1 stifle 2. vilified 3. revered 4. postulate 5. pillaged 6. perched
7 pervades 8. endeavour 9. exacerbate 10. extolled 11. disparaging
12 alleviate 13. curtail 14. enchanted 15. grumble 16. instigated
17 lamented 18. annexed 19. concocted 20. maligned 21. ingratiate
22 chastised 23. elucidated 24. enthralled
Also check :